ad: GoBoxRadio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

As a moderator in another amateur radio forum, I know! But ya got to be willing :D

W7UUU and KE6HVN like this.
  2. WA2CWA

:D All Ameritons still in sealed boxes will be worth big big bucks :D so I can retire again! :D

3. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that if HRO can find where MFJ outsourced manufacturing of some of their products, they could make a deal with that off-shore manufacturer to bring them in as an 'HRO branded' product, and let the MFJ name go to sleep. But I still believe that taking over the MFJ manufacturing plant with all of its inherent problems (and there are a ton of them) would be a big mistake.

You're correct...HRO (and DXE) offers the Palstar LA-1K. A bit of an enigma because neither one reliably has them in stock, as you can buy that amp direct from Palstar, and many believe buying direct is a better way to go. The same with DXE carrying the Flex PGXL amp and tuner, but nothing else from the Flex line. At least they have them in stock.

IMO, as far as Ameritron, continued manufacturing of their tube amps would have a limited life expectancy anyway, as solid-state amps will be taking over the market sooner than you think. There's a lot more SS manufacturers now, more on the way, and their lower prices will drive down prices of those mega-buck ones (Elecraft, Flex, SPE, Acom) in order for them to somewhat compete. And Ameritron SS amps can't hold a candle to anything else on the market.

5. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ham Radio hobby just got a lot more expensive!

KD8DWO likes this.
  6. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

As it should have been all along...

7. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't agree. Recent MFJ prices are/were *not* cheap anymore. They don't/didn't sell transceivers, and look what kind of features you get with an Icom IC-7300 or Yaesu Ft-710 at $1K or less. One of those radios, a $90 SS power supply, and a home-brew dipole...you're on the HF airwaves! How much "cheaper " do you want;)? You could cheap out even more with a Chinese product.

KD8DWO, WD4IGX, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  8. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a "MFJ going out of business" forum! :D

K6GP likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we should start a new thread :)

KE0GXN and K5YDD like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The threads mentioned have been merged into this one.

Dave
    W7UUU

Threads are now merged - sorry I've been mostly on vacation for a week.... celebrating the 1st birthday of my twin granddaughters out in Michigan. I was never "off duty" but not as frequently visiting as usual.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1YW and AD5HR like this.
  11. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ's announcement said they were shutting down the manufacturing in TN. It said they would continue to supply equipment made in China, such as power supplies. I read that to mean that Martin has passed operating control on to someone - perhaps a family member. So I would not rule out the possibility that they would outsource some of their traditional products to China. This seems more likely than someone else, like HRO, cloning MFJ products. There is the intellectual property issue, among others.

One could design directly competitive products from scratch and introduce MFJ clones.

AD0AC likes this.
  12. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://intellitron.com/

Hmmm….

K7JQ and KD6FOZ like this.
  13. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 33 Intellitron products sold by Gigaparts. I'd be willing to bet that Chinese manufacturer provided some MFJ labeled products.

KE0GXN likes this.
  14. WA2CWA

MFJ manufacturing and distribution location is Starkville, Mississippi not Tennessee.

The Martin Jue announcement made no mention of specifics concerning made in China products. Can you point to a link that corroborates what you stated. I can't seem to find any reference to that information.

NY4I likes this.
  15. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right. I cannot find it now either. It is NOT in the formal announcement letter. I must have picked that up from a secondary source that embellished the announcement, or had inside information. But I can't find any reference to it now either. So, as Roseanna Roseanna Danna used to say. "never mind".

KR3DX likes this.