ad: ProAudio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't he just sell off parts, like keep the amps going ? IDK
    Guessing its all or nothing.
    Too bad, RIP
    enjoy that retirement, buy that BA boat !!

does anyone know the last asking price ?

2. KC0HN

KC0HN Ham Member QRZ Page

DX Engineering tried, but was turned down.

KD0WGB likes this.
  3. K3LU

K3LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ops will be using K5FLU many, many products long after most of us are SK. I bought my MFJ memory keyer back in the very early 80s when I was a kid and still use it today at 60. I wore the buttons out but they were easily replaceable just a few years ago. Thanks Mr Jue and happy retirement! You made Amateur Radio better and figured out how to do it while making a living at it.

N0NEV and KF5RRF like this.
  4. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

So sad to see MFJ go. My MFJ antenna and antenna tuner work amazing. MFJ had great prices too.

KF7PCL, KA8SYV and DO1FER like this.
  5. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

They made quite a few mistakes in the last 20 years...one of them is selling too cheap. The cost to operate such a business with so many different products is huge, I know firsthand by having a small operation selling less than 100 products at MyAntennas.com

I have steered so many customers towards their remote antenna tuners, now somebody needs to fill the gap. Do not be surprised if many of their products appear on Aliexpress/Alibaba or eBay.

N0NEV, N4XRD and K3EY like this.
  6. K1DT

K1DT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QST was MFJ's monthly flyer. With the League loosing 15 pages of ad revenue each month, it's likely this is the reason the print version is no longer free. Surely Martin informed the League of his decision months ago. At one point QST was "subsidized" by ad revenue from major industrial corporations, like RCA, GE, Sylvania, Westinghouse, Raytheon, Eimac, Collins, Cornell-Dublier, Phelps-Dodge, etc. They're not coming back. Even still, none of these purchased more ad space per issue than MFJ. Puts the ARRL in a tough spot.

KV5J, KB4BJM, K8TS and 1 other person like this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure you're right.

And THANK YOU for being there, all I have and use are your products__MyAntennas.

I run 200mw and make contacts with your antennas.

N4XRD, WA4KFZ, N3ZKI and 1 other person like this.
  8. K0EQH

K0EQH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had been an MFJ dealer since the introduction of the MFJ-16010 tuner about 50years ago. In all the years of doing business with Martin I never had any problems with orders, warranty or service. If there was an issue that developed, they took care of it, fine people to work with. Will miss them greatly. Rod-REVCOM

K4DL, KB2SMS, KB8SKK and 2 others like this.
  9. K9GWS

K9GWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When deals fall apart its not always about price. It can also be about other deal termes. Was it an all cash deal or was MFJ going to get paid out over time? Who assumes employee libilities, and product liability going forward? Are there any EPA or OHSA issues that need to be addresses? I worked for a fortune 100 company doing acquisitions for 40 years. It's more than agreeing on a price.

K9FRO, KB1MM and WA4KFZ like this.
  10. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to worry friend - old eras pass and new ones begin.

Jim K. - KS9Q

NW7D, W4MND, KN1B and 1 other person like this.
  11. KA7SSR

KA7SSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, 2024 is a big year for hits to the Ham Community - first Bob Heil passed away; now MFJ is closing down. DANG! Add to that the big increase in membership fees with ARRL, and the diminishment of the print journals (unless you pay even MORE for it), it's getting tough to be a Ham. But it might be the opening for new, better companies and orgs to step up now.

NW7D, N0NEV and WA4KFZ like this.
  12. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

I blame the ARRL for the demise of MFJ. Martin will never sue them, but he probably should.

13. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got word via a loca ham-club website that MFJ is indeed closing:

MFJ: I just verified that MFJ “IS” closing their doors. Last day of production will be May 17th. is what I told. I will keep you posted with further possible equipment needs as I find out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/k4dsr/

This is from one of their dealers / friends who visits Strarkville regularly. I'm saddened to hear the news, but it is not unexpected. I know some folks complained about them through the years.....but if truth be told, probably half of the American hams have at least one piece of their gear. My shack has all sorts of their stuff. They are truly an Icon of Radio, at least in my opinion.

kk4nsf

14. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes:

De ja vu

15. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You must have missed the 42 page thread that has been discussing the MFJ closing...

W1BR and N8DC like this.