ad: MyersEng-1

The QRZ LOG BOOK IS FREE

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N3WVB, Feb 28, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The enthusiasm for using the QRZ log book can not be denied, and neither can the fact that not everyone logs their contacts or is interested in awards.

The freedom to do as you choose is what's paramount.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, don't use the QRZ logbook, or e-qsl. I maintain a local logbook on my computer, and I do upload my contacts to LOTW. Anyone using QRZ logbook can download their conformations from LOTW and use them on QRZ log if they wish.

If you want conformations from contest stations, you'll find a lot of them do use LOTW. See first paragraph.

K8BZ likes this.
  3. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally don't like LOTW. The who registration certificate stuff was a problem. Also I found that a number of contacts were not accepted by LOTW, and I was unable to diagnose the problem because it didn't send back an error log telling me what didn't upload - so I gave up on it and stuck to what works 100% of the time - QSZ and EQSL.

For those that chase ARRL Awards, they can always resort to snail mail. I still send out QSL cards, and most of those requesting a card back are LOTW users chasing an ARRL Award. This method also works 100% of the time :)

4. W2DNA

W2DNA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New to the hobby. While I understand the ease of logging into a computer/software, I for one got into the hobby so I can take minimal amount of equipment portable. A paper log book, for me, seems logical as some areas I plan to TX from will not have internet and/or spotty cell service. I wanted to enjoy this hobby without using my cell or computer. Radio, antenna, battery, and my notepad is what makes life simpler for me. Maybe one day I’ll I might add a cheap/used tablet or something, but right now, I’m enjoying the simpler (old school ways) of this hobby. As that’s why I wanted to get into this hobby in the first place…less dependent on some of newer technology. But that’s me. YMMV
    Either way, I’ve been very pleased with how most folks in this hobby are very helpful in providing information and assistance for me. Glad to be a part of this hobby. Please feel free to contact me. Always looking to expand my knowledge.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Like you say, it's a two way street. If you refuse to make a contact, and they upload to QRZ next week, next year - whatever - you miss out.

And just to be clear - the QRZ logbook is free to put data into - it requires a paid subscription to get the data out. Nothing wrong with that - just folks need to understand that should they start logging directly via the website.

I use DXLab - also free - and manage my logs myself. From there they get uploaded to LoTW, and I sync QRZ with LoTW every so often. I think it's a great resource, and bravo to QRZ for providing this, but it's not "free" if you want to own your data.

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been logging on a computer since about 1988 or so, a bit foggy on the exact date. Like the OP, I did not and still do not like the paperwork aspect of this service / hobby. PC logging made it much easier to keep a log but unfortunately it has it's downsides too. When your PC crashes your log is sometimes recoverable, sometimes not.

Been there had it happen more than once... Having logs stored in more than one place makes recovery easier.

Online data bases do several things: awards, log storage and recovery, and easy checking of DX logs as well. Clublog is a great resource for checking your status with a DX station so you don't have to make so many "insurance contacts" anymore.

So, as already pointed out QRZ is free for storing your logs, and so is LOTW. Neither of them require money to store logs. Both of them do require payment for the award certificates. QRZ does make achieving awards easier than LOTW, but the ARRL's awards are the gold standard in the Amateur radio world. ARRL has maintained the integrity of the DXCC and WAS awards for many decades. Yes, LOTW /DXCC is a bit of a pain to set up, but there are reasons for that going back years when some unscrupulous fellows gamed the DXCC system.

Keeping the integrity of the ARRL awards intact is one of the reasons why DXCC and WAS are so highly sought after by hams around the world. QRZ may someday achieve that status too, but they are the new guy in town at present...

So, for the reasons mentioned above, I store my logs here at QRZ.com, at the ARRL through LOTW and at Clublog. I upload to LOTW and QRZ almost every day and Clublog when I remember to which is sometimes sporadic.

One last note: we have to remember that keeping a log is no longer required by our FCC. Many hams, here and abroad don't keep any kind of log and that's OK. We should keep that in mind when asking over and over again why someone that you've just worked hasn't confirmed the contact through YOUR favorite site.

The DX game requires patience. Remember that and your stress levels will go down. Heck, a lot of the Old Timers will recall that it used to take months, or even years to get a confirmation from some folks.

Box 88 Moscow anyone? :rolleyes:

W0ML and N3WVB like this.
  7. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the USSR Amateur Stations and SWL (Short Wave Listener) stations, which included Ukraine,
    had to send their QSL's via PO Box 88, Moscow. The Box 88 guys monitored all incoming and outgoing QSL's.
    It was really risky sending your QSL card to BOX 88 with a $5 bill in it.

I recall days of old when certain QSL Cards were delivered to me already opened
    by whoever from Ham OPs and SW Stations in certain countries.

Unfortunately many have forgotten those days or are too young to have witnessed those days.
    Spending a lifetime in this hobby we have seen plenty that is why for me utilizing a free tool
    to do what took months and years to accomplish and now do in seconds is incredible.

Coming from an older generation I seldom take much for granted and appreciate
    what is there for the masses to use at no cost.

USE THE QRZ LOG BOOK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    AE8EM likes this.
  8. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL LOL LOL
    3G0YA IS ON 28.405
    EASTER ISLAND DX PEDITION

Unfortunately does not use THE QRZ LOG BOOK

ENJOYED WORKING THE STATION ..

BUT ...........

USE THE QRZ LOG BOOK

AE8EM likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ confirmation rates have increased considerably the last few years.

It's free, it's Web enabled, it's backed up and works so easy.
    I'm going to look the call up on QRZ anyway, so why not hit one more button and log it?
    73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

AE8EM and N3WVB like this.