ad: QSLWorks-1

Why the ARRL Matters: Bob Inderbitzen NQ1R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Dec 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2ENF

K2ENF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As to the cost of membership going up, can you name the cost of anything that hasn'tt?

N5CM likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Read careful please; the context should have been clear. BUT since you need some help on it....

The ARRL is an enterprise. As such it represents its MEMBERS as being stateside based, not STATE based.

Not the population of the country. Sheesh!

Merry Xmas.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like a Waring blender!

;-)

KB2SMS and K2ENF like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Where is Warren G. Harding (1865-1923), 29th POTUS, when we need him.....
    America's [ Radio Relay League--added by W2AI] present need is not heroics but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution but restoration.

[​IMG]

W5ESE likes this.
  5. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...and a paltry 21% of hams are QST subscribers. That's really bad.

de NK2U

6. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

"One of Several National Associations for Amateur Radio" ? I wasn't aware of more than one? Do any of the others have status such that they are in a position to represent Amateur Radio in Washington DC?

7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and all of them. As do you. As I mentioned, everyone can lobby and every site with an Internet address is a "National Organization."

Here's one:

https://www.ardc.net

And another:

https://recnet.com/node/2863

Another:

https://emcomm-training.org

NYU Wireless:

https://wireless.engineering.nyu.edu/tedrappaport-about/

And another, etc., etc., etc.

https://marcus-spectrum.com

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    WA3VJB, K7LZR and N4NXD like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

None of these are a 'national organization of amateur radio'. They represent specific interests and missions that are not 'of amateur radio' as a whole.

ardc is a grant giving foundation and does not have open membership to individuals. At least that is the inference from your link.

9. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Their national nexus isn't dependent on, or limited to semantic interpretations regarding specific interests and missions, or open membership.

The question concerned 'One of Several National Associations for Amateur Radio' and an ability to lobby on behalf of amateurs.

They're all national and they can all lobby. Is ARRL the best, or the most effective? It's a matter of opinion. And, as always YMMV.

NL7W, N4NXD and K3XR like this.
  10. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think N1FM was meaning organizations such as RSGB, DARC, JARL, RAC, FMRE, WIA, NZART, etc.
    They are also National Associations for Amateur Radio within their national jurisdictions and IARU members.

K7LZR likes this.
  11. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. It's actually a really good magazine.

It's actually pretty impressive they put out as many magazines as they do each month.

Putting together a magazine every month is not a small task.

12. W2AI

It's not exactly cheap living in the Empire State either. The cost of living and taxes are the highest in the nation. Housing is scarce and expensive. The populace residing here are overtaxed and over regulated. No small wonder 550,000 residents left New York to other states over the past 12 months.

AF2M and KB2SMS like this.
  13. W2AI

Happy Holidays!! Don't drink [alcohol] and drive.

14. W2AI

I give ARRL credit for being a publishing house with a wealth of information contained in their publications. More so; The so-called pillars [and subsequent Rhetoric] of public service, advocacy, education, technology, along with the power play rivalries and in-house politics at ARRL HQ: I can do without. Furthermore, The downfall of ARRL membership commenced, in 1963, when the League promoted the concept of incentive licensing--which, at the time, General Class licensees had FULL operating privileges.

NL7W likes this.
  15. K4EAK

K4EAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Kevin ... another great interview. And good job on asking the tough questions without being rude.

I am a member of ARRL, I support what they do, frequently contribute to various special funds, and I'm not going to have a hissy fit and quit over the dues increase and QST decision. But Inderbitzen's comments to the effect of "we don't have a contract" were almost enough to push me the other way. Good grief. The issue isn't, "Let's do this to the members and ask our lawyers if the members can do anything about it .... Ha ha ha! No contract ... we got 'em!" Is that actually the way ARRL processed the decision?

How about instead noting that the benefit of a printed copy of QST was a material inducement to paid membership for many people, and that the decent, honest, and ethical decision would be to recognize that and continue their subscriptions through the expiration of their membership terms?

Even worse, was ARRL soliciting memberships that included printed copies of QST even while they had internally concluded that they had no intention of providing that benefit? And they feel OK with that because the lawyers told them the decision was not actionable?

Anyway, thanks again for another very informative (even if distressing) interview,
    73 Skip K4EAK

N4QX, W1DED and W5ESE like this.