ad: elecraft

Issue #17: The Best, But at What Cost?

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Apr 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the forum for the article "The Best, But at What Cost?" in Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur, issue 17. If you haven't seen the article yet, it's at this link.

Please post your comments, questions or suggestions here and the author and other readers will respond.

73, Dave

AA3C and VK5OHR like this.
  2. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an interesting article. https://www.qrz.com/articles/node_1678119913

And if I understand it correctly for me the ultimate 'product' satisfaction over the long term concerns listening audio quality. While I still marvel at the ingenuity, complexity and robustness of the expensive commercial hf rigs, it is the lack of sound pureness that honed my search for external DSP's that have features these main-line radio manufacturers seemed to have overlooked.

Here 'quoted' are 3 relatively 'inexpensive' products that have 'bested' the best and revitalised my current radio experiences. The brief Youtube demo's really show the advance!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  3. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the advantages of being a licensed firearms dealer is that I can purchase items directly from the supplier at wholesale price, test things out and play around with them for a while, and then...if I'm not happy with the performance...sell it off without losing any money on the item.

As a hunting and long-range shooting enthusiast, I have done this literally dozens of times over my 27 year career with all make and manner of rifles. Time and time again, I have proven to myself as well as my friends & clients, that a lesser known or inexpensive brand can perform equally, if not better than, the higher priced big name or "premier" brands. In fact, there have been occasions where a rifle half the cost of a "big name" competitor performed it hands down.

Usually, with today's advancements in CNC machining, performance and accuracy right out of the box is never the issue; the difference is almost always in finish and appearance. My personal philosophy is that a firearm is a tool, and I want it to perform flawlessly when I use it; it need not be a decorative "wall hanger" or exquisite piece of craftsmanship to do this.

I mention this because I have brought this same mindset to my foray into amateur radio. Having only been at this a few years, I look towards those more experienced hams to give their evaluations and performance reviews on equipment, gear, and techniques....and hopefully in doing so leave out personal bias or brand favoritism. So I value your straight-forward reviews and articles Dave, because you appear to approach this process the same way I do: with an open mind, willing to try something new or different, and honestly report back to us on it. Thank you for doing this, and please continue to do so.

And yes, the XYL factor plays a significant role in ANY hobby, and especially in the enjoyment thereof. "Happy wife...happy life" is a statement I am fully invested in.

N1VAU, DANIELLEMILL and W7DGJ like this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you regarding both firearms and ham radios as I use both on a regular basis. The bottom line question for me is does it do what I want it to do effectively and reliably. It may not be the currently accepted "state of the art", the most expensive, or the most "pretty". I have multiple firearms and multiple radios. Only one firearm is a "wall hanger" and that is a very old (and somewhat valuable) rifle that I meticulously restored a few years ago. Will it shoot straight? Yes but I have other "daily users" that do as well and those are my go to guns. As for radios there was a time when I would buy the newest and most expensive one to hit the market--only to find that one of my older radios worked just as well and sometimes even better.

N1VAU and W3TKB like this.
  5. W7DGJ

What a great analogy, thanks! I need to write you with a question on this topic someday soon . . . could use your advice on that OTHER hobby! Dave

6. W7DGJ

Thanks Jerry. Good comments, and this reminds me that there are guys out there with seriously old radios (boat anchors, wrote about them a few issues back) and that's the attitude they have. If they can get good performance out of them, they don't mind that these radios are a few decades old. Dave

7. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

About spending and getting approval of your spouse.

Just don't. But wait, hear me out.

For the past decades we've always run 3 bank accounts. Joint, Mine, Theirs. We get an allowance that direct deposits into our accounts.

I don't see or care about what they spend, carbon fiber knitting needles?, and they don't see what I spend.

It keeps financial peace in the household.

N1VAU, K5WW and W7DGJ like this.
  8. W7DGJ

Thanks Paul. Great suggestion. Might be hard to move to a "new system" like this after so many years of life together with one checking account . . . but that's a terrific idea for a young married guy who is just getting started. Wish I had thought of that early on.

Of course, the other aspect of the XYL Factor is the matter of appearances for all things "antenna." You're right, financial conversations are easier your way, but the other issue I am contending with all the time is that "those antennas are so damn ugly." Dave

N1PCZ likes this.
  9. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Flagpole? Purple Martin house?

W7DGJ likes this.
  10. W7DGJ

Yes, already have those . . . reviewed on these pages! Thanks for tips. The antennas I will never be able to have are large towers and beams. Dave

N1PCZ likes this.
  11. W7DGJ

One comment I made in my article that I expected to be blasted on . . . it was, "let's face it, there hasn't been a lot of innovation in the CW mode." Do you believe that to be true, as I do? Or, can you cite ways that the mode has been upgraded or improved, either by the keys/paddles themselves or by the radios we use today? Thanks! Dave, W7DGJ

N8TGQ and PY2NEA like this.
  12. W7DGJ

Here's another photo that I couldn't fit into my column. As an aside, please note that Yury, UR5CDX, also makes keys that are in the same price range as the Kent that I've used for years. I need to review those soon . . . Dave, W7DGJ

Yury Working 2.jpg

WD4AWD, AA3C and N1PCZ like this.
  13. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime...use my email address as posted on my bio page. KB

14. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe there's a bias against innovation in CW. It's the old " I had to go through it this way, so you do too". If you even mention using computers for CW, the wrath of the CW folks is unleashed! With the right softwarwe and marketing, digital CW could be as popular as FT-8 and allow the other half of US amateurs access to HF. But the only company I know making the effort is PreppComm. They might be a good article, Dave.

As far as keys or paddles, I have never bought any radio or gear based on it's look or feel. It's always been how useful it will be. All my keys and the one paddle I own are homebrew, and tailored for a certain function or fit a certain space. If it was too "purty", I'd be afraid to use it!

Here's my fanciest key. My grandson asked me, "Why do you call it a key? It sure dont look like a key." So we made this from one of his play keys and a candy container.

housekeysmall.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    W7DGJ likes this.
  15. W9TR

W9TR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, loved this article. The question for me is, what things will bring me joy every time I use them? This goes far beyond their utilitarian value to a lot of different things. Luxury, durability, craftsmanship, beauty, pride of ownership to name a few. Then there is the notion of supporting people and companies by buying their stuff and preserving it for the next generation.

Here is a case in point.
    This is my Questar 3.5" Telescope. Hand crafted in Pennsylvania since 1954, still made there today to the same exacting standards. This one was made in 1995. Buttery smooth controls, super easy to use, the whole thing stores in a custom fitted travel case. It is finely machined and every control is smooth as silk. It is a joy to use, just like a fine CW key. For the money, I could have a much larger instrument that performs better in every measurable way. But it wouldn't be a Questar. And I would use it less, because it wouldn't be as joyful an experience. Besides, Werner von Braun and Johnny Carson owned Questars. :)

DSC_3288-1.jpg

K0TWA and W7DGJ like this.