ad: MyersEng-1

Malicious ad appearing on my QRZ.com page

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by K8BZ, Feb 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You should try the Cafe Americano in Rio. Unfortunately, your Spanish won't help much as they speak SA Portuguese there.

2. KI4DRA

KI4DRA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's called Scareware -- You wouldn't believe how many people actually call the number and give the scammer access to their PC. The elderly are at most risk, but people of all ages fall victim.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people think qrz.com is actually doing these ads.

K8BZ, WA9SVD and KI4DRA like this.
  4. KO4TXV

KO4TXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never searched any of the stuff that I see in ads. Many of the ads, I have never even heard of the alleged sites they come from.

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a Subscriber and using AdBlock+ I see no ads

KN4XJ likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I run Linux here, Firefox browser, AdBlock Ultimate, and Ghostery. No ads. No ScareWare.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  7. K8BB

K8BB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a few dollars/mo., all ads disappear. No brainer…

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

uBlock Origin

This one uses the AdBlock lists, plus a few, but does not allow the (paid!) exceptions that other "AdBlock" extensions allow.

Ads? What ads? The web is nearly unusable these days without some kind of AdBlock.

K8BZ likes this.
  9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just moved to LibreWolf browser, and really like it.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to keep in mind for my fellow cheapskates (identified with the word "Ham Member" underneath their call). The owner of the site doesn't make a dime off you if the ads aren't displayed. Unless you click on them, they really don't cause much trouble. And if you do click on them, he gets as much as a buck or two. (It's usually less, but the expensive ones are not uncommon.)

Interestingly, I just got an ad for an apartment building that I drove past a couple of days ago. What the heck--I went ahead and clicked on it. It partially makes up for me being such a cheapskate.

K8VHL likes this.
  11. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I run AdBlock and Adblock Plus extensions in a Chrome browser. On this page alone they each blocked 13 adverts. I never see any advertisements and never get any popups. Once in a while, a web site recognizes that I use an Ad blocker and won't respond unless I disable it. I just throw them away, as I can get the same information some where else. I have never disabled the Ad blockers.

I also have the extensions "Disable Right Click" and "Chrometana" installed. "Disable Right Click" prevents web sites from messing with my right click menu and "Chrometana" redirects Bing searches.

I also clear my browser data and examine the stored cookies. I get rid of anything I don't like. It only takes about 5 minutes to do it.

12. KP4SX

Its called AdBlock.

K8BZ likes this.
  13. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All this talk about AdBlockers is great, don't get me wrong, but it kind of misses the point. "Just don't look at it" is a poor response to the presence of bad things. One would hope the website owner(s) had morals that did not condone this kind of thing.

14. KP4SX

Its not totally in his control.

K8BZ and WA9SVD like this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't that just seem creepy to you?

It's not a coincidence. How did they know?

Think it through, this Stasi wet dream spy machine we pay $ to carry everywhere...

KD7MW likes this.