ad: M2Ant-1

QSO Today with Art Bell, W6OBB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to the above podcast….it was so great to hear his voice again!
    Sure do miss him…may he rest in peace

KK6IPR, W0ADL, K3SX and 4 others like this.
  2. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I worked at US AirWays in the instrument shop on afternoon shift we all listened to Art with Mal's Hole, the guy from the future, listened live when the Phoenix lights were making news, and all the other crazy fun things he brought to his show. That was my favorite radio show for a long time.

N4FUR, N7KO, AB4BF and 5 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

For a few years in the 80s I worked as a commercial fire/security installer for ADT (back when they were a stalwart of the industry, not what they are now). I worked the graveyard shift a lot, as I did work in large factories near Seattle after operating hours.

I have many fond memories of listening to "Coast to Coast" on the 1 to 3 hour drives from home to my late-night work site. I loved his show - and all the interesting and often kooky guests he'd have on. When I had my QSO with him in 2017 it was fun to share those memories with him and he seemed sincerely interested in hearing me tell them.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7KO, K3EY, WP4BRI and 2 others like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably the majority of us made it a habit to listen in on Art Bell Coast to Coast, I enjoyed the Bigfoot stories, the stories of Mel's hole and so many others. Now since George Norie took over he has changed the format, he likes to dwell on the Witches, Mediums, and the ones that can ha ha tell you what your dreams are or he is pushing pills or interviewing some nut that wrote a book.

I miss Coast to Coast, Art bell Was Coast to Coast.
    TU for posting this interview.

K8SV, K3FHP, KB3TUS and 10 others like this.
  5. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too

VE3KKM, KK5R, N7KO and 1 other person like this.
  6. K3EY

I agree 100%.

I know when I bring this up on here everybody thinks it’s a joke, but it’s not. If you noticed I’ve been consistent about it.

My wife is a true psychic medium and more. One of her friends is on coast-to-coast a lot the last couple years, she writes books. Her name is Carole Obley. My wife and her used to do readings at book store in Swickley PA years back, that’s where Carole got her start.

Living with a psychic just doesn’t make coast to coast appealing to me anymore. It’s like listening to my wife:)

KD4AYU, NE3J, K0WWX and 3 others like this.
  7. WM9K

WM9K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a fan of Art's show as well. It wasn't until shortly after that I learned that he was an amateur, but at that time I wasn't on the air. I can't say I've listened much since he's been gone. A lot of times I wonder what his show would be like in today's political craziness.

KK6IPR and N7KO like this.
  8. KB1HFP

KB1HFP Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a great episode of the podcast. Art was a fascinating person and I was grateful to hear his story.

KK6IPR, 4Z1UG, WR3V and 1 other person like this.
  9. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the late 90's when I was still single I discovered Art Bell and C2C AM. I even got on the air briefly with him when I called in on a night when he had Richard C. Hoagland on.

KK6IPR, K0UO and N4FUR like this.
  10. K3EY

How about major Ed Dames or whatever rank he was always predicting the future and never ever right with his remote viewing. He sounded like a class A jerk, the one guest I couldn’t handle.

KB3LPE, GM4BRB and WD4ELG like this.
  11. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was married to a wife from the islands, just like myself. Late in his life we exchanged phone numbers, but I never had a chance to consult with him.

Unfortunately he was having troubled in his personal life at the time of his death, along with some medical issues.

Art was gracious enough to let me hang out through a couple of commercial breaks talking with him on the air. Then again with George Norrie (spelling). I had to call in & set things straight it seems with some of their "wacko" callers, which was the best part of the show it seems :). They both were glad to have me call in, Haha.

I really would not expect any radio show today would be allowed to have people call in with the concerns of today. Free speech is in a lock down state it seems in commercial radio & media overall, however Amateur radio will be the breeding ground for operators around the world, someone else to stand up and be heard. Long live Ham radio.

The Coast to Coast show was always a hit with some friends even leaving the radio playing all night while in bed while working away from home. He really had a hit, especially when he decided to come back on the air after the first break away. Never talked to him except on his radio show. A shooting star for sure. RIP Art. Thanks for the ride.

Doug
    WB1E

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  12. AB9LM

AB9LM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art was the reason I took interest in amateur radio / SWL. In the late 90's, I was spinning through the AM dial and heard a man talking about UFO conspiracy. I thought I'd somehow discovered a secret transmission that I wasn't supposed to hear. Of course I later learned that it was a syndicated radio show, but nonetheless it started my fascination with radio in general. I keep a canvas of Art over my shack computer as a tribute.

KB3TUS, VE3KKM, W9EBE and 2 others like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

indian head.jpg

The problem with Art's show--and that problem continued after his absence--is it made no distinctions between 'frontier' and 'border' science, and just plain stupid nonsense.

I distinctly recall on Art's show where he claimed a picture of smoke, making the alleged profile of an Indian Chief, was the most important image ever captured on camera.

Total nonsense.

People are programmed to 'make out' images, that don't represent their true nature and are there by accident. IOW its not the reality, its the perception, that misleads. God is not sending some smoke signal.

To wit: rocks called 'Indian Head', in NH....not far from where Betty and Barney Hill allegedly got abducted by a UFO.

(run guitar going ding ding ding ding...ding ding ding ding...from Twilight Zone).

And don't forget Elephant Head...

[​IMG]
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    KK6IPR and ITAL7 like this.
  14. KQ9I

KQ9I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked as a paramedic on the Navajo Indian Reservation in Northern AZ. Spent many a night driving up from near Phoenix, listening to Art's show, when I wasn't trying to learn the code from Gordo West's tapes.
    The thing I always admired about Art was that no matter how looney-tunes the subject matter, or the guest, Art was polite, an active listener, and asked good questions without being confrontational or argumentative. We could use someone like that in modern media discourse.

Jim
    KQ9I

KL7KN, KK6IPR, W0DN and 4 others like this.
  15. WN9ZWC

WN9ZWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is so true. He knew the art of conversation.

N3ASE and K3SX like this.