ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Field Day being exploited by contest stations

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WA9Z, Jun 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with that. Hope you had fun according to the rules.
    I didn't participate in the USA Field Day. I had higher priorities for the weekend.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In fact, you are right and I am really pleased that I was better not only of all individuals, but also of most collectives)

W4LJ likes this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny thing about real emergencies—they come without rules, categories, required exchanges, extra points for emergency power/PR/satellite QSOs, free bonus stations, etc.

KC7JNJ and W4LJ like this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t worry about the points thing. Some folks need goals, so if they are operating for points great they give me more people to practice on. Also dont worry about them working from home. I mean every year at Field Day we learned something new. If it takes points to get people out so my friends and I can experiment with what works in the field and what doesn’t work in the field thats cool. This year I learned that I need a better form of sun shade. A tent gets way too hot in the bright sunshine. I also experimented with two different antennas this year. I learned that I need to spend more time with my PAR endfed it worked very good. Take the time to make your fieldday what you want it to be where you are with who you are with.

I myself would love to see a national SET exercise. But the logistics of that would be huge. The last SET exercise I was in was run from the field just like field day. ( We learned a lot)

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on, just chill out .... .. HI
    It was just field/day an event

1D from my place

But Field day is not a contest according to the ARRL

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

K1LKP likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

JIM,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE IN THE SIGNAL CORPS.........BRAVO...........

ALSO

THREE CHEERS FOR BENNY....
    MEOW 2021 NEW.jpg

&

wa9z.jpg

CONGRATS ON A FB QRZ PAGE............

HATS OFF.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  7. N3FZ

N3FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting perspective! I was a 6D operator for field day and it was my first introduction to a multi-op contest. I can tell you that the event was very social and it was a good experience. I learned about a topic I am interested in: contesting and, in particular, multi-op contesting. We did NOT use high power. I can tell you that I worked scores of 1D and 2D stations. There were a ton of people working FD at home. It’s terrific to see the activity!

I am not interested in emcomm or disaster preparedness. Just not my thing.

I recognize not everyone will agree but I learned a lot this field day.

K0UO likes this.
  8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually run 1E, solar during the day and battery as long as it lasts, but of course the solar broke down on Thursday, so it was 1D. I only try to improve an last years numbers. 153 contacts 46 states and 8 Canadian sections, much better than last year. 100 watts and a wire, next year I'm going to try QRP.

KC9WUV and N3FZ like this.
  9. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped reading there.

10. KC9WUV

KC9WUV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Field day is what we make of it . Some like the points , some like the experimentation. There are as many reasons as participants . Just as many complaints I am also sure. I wonder how many applicants there are at the ARRL to make it better ...

N3FZ likes this.
  11. BH5HYB

BH5HYB Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do I get a piece of that pie?

13. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee whizz, I thought field day was a contest?!
    Otherwise why keep score?
    China flu is just anther excuse.
    Oh and I always reinvest my contest $$$ in antenna!

W7TAN and WD4ELG like this.
  14. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I am concerned any activity is welcome. The problem with field day resides with the rules and the ARRL. Simplify them and fix the perverse scoring and I will do it again. Two points for an FT-8 contact while only one for a CW contact. Really?

15. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with the OP. Too many delta stations not making way for the lower power and portable antenna folks. Kinda ruins it for the lower power guys who take the effort to get out there and operate in less than optimal circumstances.

I'd like to see the rule return that class D stations can not call CQ or run a frequency, and can not work any other D stations; Running should be left to the better ops who are capable of operating in the field, with makeshift antennas; Delta's can sit at home in the air conditioning and spin the dial up and down the band... they'll hardly break a sweat. search and pounce to their heart's content. This might level the playing field.

An added rule might be a 4x multiplier if you are not class D... to encourage non-Delta operation and for bragging rights, of course since it's not a contest.

But we won't win this argument - hams are getting older and older. Can't believe how many "it's too hot outside".. or "fill in your excuse" there are for NOT doing field day with a club or small group in the city park.

Then there's the city park issue - few parks these days will give a permit without a $3M insurance policy...

You're fighting an uphill battle all the way. Just be glad there are a few hams remaining who know how to send and receive CW...or can pick up a mic and talk into it. In a decade or so.... that might not be the case.

WN1MB likes this.