ad: M2Ant-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Now youve lost the exchange by resorting to trolling.

K3XR likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please keep the discussion civil... ;):)

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

K7KBN and K3XR like this.
  3. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Courtesy of WB4CS. This is overwhelmingly what DXers use. I don't think this will ever change, because it is more efficient, especially when talking to ops whose first language is not English.
    Unless there is a change to Part 97, I will continue to use Norway 4, Mexico Xray Zanzibar when working DX or not working DX. Since that is my choice, even after being presented with alternative options, like the ITU/ICAO phonetics, it does not constitute a "mistake". :cool: I am curious as to what countries require ITU phonetics.
    A......AMERICA, Amsterdam
    B......BOSTON, Baltimore, Brazil
    C......CANADA, Columbia, Chile
    D......DENMARK
    E......ENGLAND, Egypt
    F......FRANCE, Finland
    G.....GERMANY, Guatemala, Geneva, Greece
    H.....HONOLULU, Hawaii
    I.......ITALY
    J......JAPAN
    K......KILOWATT, Kentucky, King
    L......LONDON, Lima, Luxembourg
    M......MEXICO, Montreal
    N......NORWAY, Nicaragua
    O......ONTARIO, Ocean,
    P......PORTUGAL, Pacific
    Q......QUEBEC, Queen
    R......RADIO, Romania, Russia
    S......SANTIAGO, Spain, Sweden
    T......TOKYO, Texas
    U......UNITED, URUGUAY
    V...... VICTORIA, Venezuela
    W......WASHINGTON
    X......X-RAY
    Y......YOKOHAMA
    Z...... ZANZIBAR, Zulu

AI6IN and N0TZU like this.
  4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

But you're talking to the rest of the world, right? And if it isn't mandatory for you, isn't it just good practise to use a standard anyway because it is mandatory for others?

5. PA0MHS

I never debated that. Read what I wrote, please.

6. PA0MHS

Not exactly. Regarding to human language: although we speak different languages, we still use the same characters. Just the order and sometimes the pronounciation is different. But I can still recognize the language. That would be different if we would use different characters at all, like the people in Russia or China or Japan.
    Regarding different digital standards, you are right altough some of them do at least include a header, telling the receiver which sub-standard will be used.

7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone once asked me what I was going to do when I retired. I replied, "I'm going to be a curmudgeon."

My XYL, who overheard this, helpfully added, "He doesn't need to practice." :)

8. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok misunderstandings. All good.

PA0MHS likes this.
  9. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K8QS

Jim, what types of more egregious phone mistakes do you have in mind? Would love to know. Thanks.

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

11. K8QS

12. K8QS

13. VE2MMH

VE2MMH Guest

The ITU Standard recognised phonetic alphabet should be used by ALL Amateur Radio operators so that the names for letters and numbers would be distinct enough to be easily understood by those who exchanged voice messages by radio or telephone, regardless of LANGUAGE DIFFERENCES and/or the QUALITY of the connection.The main reason for doing so, is to reduce the amount of bad practices, that you gentelmen have so clearly pointed out in your video.A good read is from the Wikipedia site, just type in: 'NATO phonetic alphabet', for a more detailed explaination on this subject. 73, from VE2MMH Marc.

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amatuer radio in the US is regulated by the FCC part 97. and not Wikipedia. There is no reference to a "NATO phonetic alphabet" in those regulations. While use of the NATO phonetic alphabet would be acceptable so would any other.
    2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;

Complete text here...
    ttps://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.119

Thanks for your input.

AI6IN, WD4IGX and N4MXZ like this.
  15. KG7AV

KG7AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love to see that forthcoming video on ham obsessions or ham CDO. (That's like OCD only the letters are in the correct order).

WD4IGX and K8QS like this.