ad: k1jek

Ham Gets 30 Days in the Slammer for On Air Harassment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1FM, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I would like to ask that discussion of US/world politics and US/world governments, conspiracy theories, Covid-19, BLM, or any other topics not somehow relevant to the topic of this thread or at least just "ham radio news" in some way, to refrain. ALL such comments are now removed.

Feel free to start such threads in "Just Talking - Politics" as you wish - but not in this thread, in the "Amateur Radio News" forum.

This will be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    W7UUU

KM0NAS likes this.
  2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Dave,

That was some serious "thread drift." Anyhow, I got some more info today. Mr. Michael J. Mgrdichian has 60 days from the date of his conviction to file an application to the Supreme Court of TN if he wants to challenge the appeals court. He also needs to file a stay of execution if he wants to avoid jail pending their decision about hearing the case. So far, he's been convicted in the trial court, and the conviction was unanimously affirmed by a panel of 3 appeals court judges. Apparently it's an expensive and fairly useless proposition, due to the unanimity and the Supreme Court requires a really interesting or controversial legal proposition to even address the issues.

I've applied via FOIA for the videotape of the hearing and trial if anyone's interested in watching. Ham radio is a featured topic and it's a public hearing and trial, so I'll post it when I get it.

73 de Tom

N4CAX, KC8TMW and W7UUU like this.
  3. N0ZNA

N0ZNA Ham Member QRZ Page

He just wont use a call.

4. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll go back to my original point that this case has ZERO relevance to amateur radio. This is a simple, open and shut, contempt of court order based on a properly filed and served no-contact order. No need for a FOIA, you can visit your local county seat and watch similar cases play out every day five times a week in family court. The fact that some pro-se clown dredged up a black helicopter FCC defense is irrelevant, it was just fluff that was tossed to the side as a distraction. There is nothing being discussed that could impact amateur radio in any way; defendants come up with all types of bizarre defenses, and most like this one, are the legal equivalent of "the dog ate my homework".

Suppose someone was charged with contempt of court for driving past the victim's house in an antique car at 3AM every morning and tooting the horn, he comes up with some silly defense about the freedom to toot is protected speech. Would that make the case relevant to classic car collectors? This whole case is much ado about absolutely nothing.

ND6M likes this.
  5. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

For crying out loud, this is supposed to be a nice, fun hobby.

6. W8ERW

W8ERW Ham Member QRZ Page

WA2VMX is active.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's keep racism, antisemiticism, and all other 'isms' off this web site.

When you allow it to creep in --and frankly it WAS allowed a foothold on this thread IMO--you need to expect that others will show it is factually wrong, morally abhorrent, and doesn't belong in ham radio.

Thanks. End of my comments on this.

K9UR likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well... 'bagism' is OK.

W0PV likes this.
  9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

The harassing ham had a three wheeled scooter? Probably a yellow vest and a Batman utility belt with cell phones, scanners, and HT's. Can't make this stuff up! We'll see him at the next Hamvention if there ever is one. Can you say "Whacker"!

10. K4PIH

2020 = 1984.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is already debunked.

We are staying on thread.

Chip W1YW

12. K4PIH

I heard the operators were lawyers and the sharks didn't eat them out of professional courtesy.

WN1MB likes this.
  13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Instant Karma's gonna get you ... :)

W1YW likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay on thread.

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another thread about a ham that got thrown into the "slammer" for OTA activity that curiously also didn't make the front page News on QRZ,

Maximilian Kolbe - SP3RN

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.