ad: CQMM-1

Legal obstacle removed to open Titanic, retrieve Marconi radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Two related stories re-emerged recently that perhaps you will find interesting. Both carry controversy.

1) A legal obstacle has been removed from retrieval of the Marconi radio set from the sunken wreck.

Judge clears the way for salvagers to open up the Titanic and retrieve Marconi radio (text below)

2) A publisher of a book on the Titanic made a claim that Amateur Radio was responsible for the disaster. I decided this topic is more suitable for QRZ Ham Radio discussions and created a separate thread in the forum.

How Amateur Radio Sank The Titanic (link to Ham Radio Discussion thread)

IMO while there may be some truth to this controversial historical tale, the projection and promotion of it could still be seen as hostile to the ARS of today, or better, a cautionary tale against too much deregulation, and deserves debate and counterpoint, as the modern battle for spectrum evolves.

73, John, WØPV

-----------------
    Abbreviated text from linked article,

"In an order issued Monday in Norfolk, Va., District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith said RMS Titanic, the court-designated salvage firm for the Titanic, made its case that the radio had enough historic value to justify sending a specially equipped robot into the wreck. The remotely operated submersible would be equipped with tools to cut through the deckhouse if necessary."

During a video session presented last month by Everett, Wash.-based OceanGate, Bretton Hunchak, president of RMS Titanic, said the expedition would focus on the Marconi radio for a number of reasons.

“Many people have called it the voice of Titanic, and I don’t necessarily think that’s wrong,” Hunchak said. “What I do think is wrong is that some people think it’s just a radio. … The story of Titanic is really one about overcoming adversity, and I think in today’s environment, that rings truer than ever, right? We’re afraid to go outside, we’re afraid about what to do with our families.”

He said the 700 passengers who survived the Titanic’s sinking faced similar adversity, and argued that the tabletop radio was emblematic of their survival.

“The only reason there were survivors, and the only reason that we’re sitting here today discussing the wreck, and are able to do this research, is because of that radio,” Hunchak said.

Putting the radio on exhibit will help the world “re-engage with Titanic,” he said.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    N3GY, KE8HBV, VE2GCE and 4 others like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgot the pic for the OP
    [​IMG]

KA7UUC, AJ6KZ, N3GY and 2 others like this.
  3. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get it, but I hope they achieve whatever it is they are hoping for.

M3VPI and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? Let the ship rest on the bottom. No need to salvage a radio to be put on display.

G4WSQ, W4AEE, W5QC and 18 others like this.
  5. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another money-making adventure...

W4AEE, N7EO, DH2LAB and 5 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

what could there possibly be left to "recover"?

Giant SLABS OF STEEL are rotting away now. Do they really think the Marconi rig or anything connected to it will still be salvageable in any meaningful way?

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2UHF, G4WSQ, G6PBS and 24 others like this.
  7. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

And not very good steel, by today's standards.

WB5PDZ, N4FZ and N7DBI like this.
  8. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bringing up artifacts from the debris field is one thing...but entering the ship and removing things, is just outright grave robbing.

G4WSQ, K7KRK, N7AKL and 24 others like this.
  9. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I recall correctly from a few historical shows on the ship, it was basically iron and not steel. I may be incorrect.

N7KO and N4FZ like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever been to a museum?

K6PLR, AC1IZ, G1HYD and 6 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is a fantastic initiative and wish them the very best on this perilous exercise.

The Titanic wireless was a pivot point for civilization. Before, wireless was a minor and unreliable method to transmit information, with few takers on vessels or transatlantic cable.. After, it was seen and further developed, to connect the world. A standard of practice.

There is a very good chance that portions of the radio system will be intact-- which is not predominantly steel or iron.

I don't know where that assumption comes from.

I suspect if the information presented to the judge was read by those here, they would thus understand that no one is seeking to go after a radio that is a rust-icle.

I haven't seen it (in pictures) but have a very good idea of the many components and materials in that system. You can easily dig it out yourself, and IMO should.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    AK5B and N4FZ like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

titanic.jpg
    Ship, not radio (wireless).

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine there are those who would love to be buried in a radio room or shack, but there is no evidence that there was anyone in the wireless area when the ship started angling up. Not a grave.

VA3DPO, AK5B and N4FZ like this.
  14. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

WJ4U likes this.
  15. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

retrieve what?

[​IMG]

WA2LXB, W4SEX, JF1IRQ and 3 others like this.