ad: UR5CDX-1

Legal obstacle removed to open Titanic, retrieve Marconi radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the KEY might be an important component to retrieve.

AK5B and W1YW like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything you see.

Encrustation is a good sign.

I had no idea it was so well preserved....kindly provide the source of the right image:)

Below--

This is extraordinarily well preserved. I am astounded the brass points weren't cathodically dissolved!

Notice it wasn't 'turned up to 11':)

[​IMG]

W0PV, AK5B and N4FZ like this.
  3. KL7IXW

KL7IXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm all in favor of bringing the radio up. It is part of our history, and we should be able to appreciate it.

W0AQ, N4GST, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  4. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have absolutely no issue with bring up the Marconi radio from the ship. It saved the lives of who could be rescued and proved beyond a doubt the value of radio.

There aren't any human remains to bring up, mother nature took care of that long ago so at this point it's just a dead ship.

N3HQN, W0AQ and AK5B like this.
  5. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

That'll buff right out. A recap, a few new wires and you'll be back on the air in no time.

KD5SHY, VE1HFM, N3AZB and 4 others like this.
  6. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

こんにちは、W0PV

興味深い報道をありがとうございます。

興味のあるニュース。
    詳細を知りたい
    学校の教科書でタイタニック号の事故について知りました。
    映画でしか見たことがありません。

レオナルド・ウィルヘルム・ディカプリオ
    Kate Winslet

日本からJF1IRQによって。

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawn.

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend called and said, "Hey, when things open up let's go out for some beer & seafood!"
    "Where?" I asked.
    He suggested the Titanic.
    "Nah! That's such a dive!" :oops:

K3JLS, AG6CF and W7UUU like this.
  9. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I do believe it is pretty much a sacred site, but as it is a robot going in and cutting the side of the ship where the radio room was I believe it is a worthwhile venture to reclaim some brilliant radio history

K3JLS likes this.
  10. W4TUC

W4TUC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This will be one more item to keep the memory of those lost alive.Preserve history for all to remember.

N4GST, AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Grooooooaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N4GST and (deleted member) like this.
  12. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The watery grave should be left alone. We already know what the radio looks like. I suspect it is NOT serviceable ...

G4WSQ, WA2LXB and KD0WGB like this.
  13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A COMPELLING REASON FOR THE RADIO SET SALVAGE

There are pro and con sides as to the salvage of the radio equipment from Titanic's Silent Room. The con side says not to salvage the radio gear because Titanic is a marine grave and should be left alone. There have been some 5,000 artifacts salvaged so far. On the pro side, the roof of Titanic's Officer's Quarters Deckhouse in danger of collapsing and crushing the Silent Room . The equipment should be removed so its configuration can be studied, otherwise it will be lost forever.

Parks Stephenson is a volunteer researcher of shipwrecks. He offers some background information for diving down to the Titanic again,

"Jim Cameron surveyed the remains of the Marconi transmitting room (Silent Cabin) in 2001 and 2005. The operator's room, with all the receiving components, was destroyed during the sinking by the flow of water through the deckhouse. But the Silent Cabin had soundproofed walls, which withstood the rush of water and protected the transmitting apparatus within. Over the next century, the organisms that feed off the wreck ate away the wooden walls, revealing a beautifully complete and intact transmitting apparatus, the only surviving example of a Marconi 5-kW marine station in the world. It also happens to make up part of what is arguably the most famous radio (telegraph, actually, but that’s how the public sees it) in the world. I am the one who performed the analysis of Jim's dive imagery and reconstructed what was a unique station. Not even the Marconi Co. archives had any source material about Titanic’s installation, given that they were always put together by the local Marconi engineer to fit the space allocated aboard each vessel.

The components were standard Marconi, it was the manner in which they were installed that was unique. Each marine station was put together by a supervising Marconi engineer, tailored to each ship. Olympic was Titanic’s sister ship and as such was almost identical, but her Marconi Room was in a different location than Titanic’s. Also, Olympic had a plain spark discharger, while Titanic (launched a year after Olympic) received the newer disc discharger. Jim Cameron modeled his movie version of the Marconi Room on Olympic because it was better documented in photographs. No photograph of Titanic’s Silent Cabin exists. The Marconi archives had nothing regarding Titanic, specifically. It wasn’t until after the movie, after Cameron explored the wreck and found the remains of the Silent Room, that we finally discovered how different Titanic was from Olympic. Each component, though, is standard Marconi products and I used their catalogue to help re-create the system in CGI.

The transmitting apparatus has survived. The wood boxes that house the jigger, coils and ATI have certainly degraded, but the motor-generator set (which includes the first rotary discharger to go to sea) looks to be in good, maybe even restorable, condition. The switchboards and regulators, still mounted on the steel bars that handled their weight, still show the last operator settings of motor and alternator. The condenser bank and transformer are in galvanized steel tubs. Wall mounted components still hang in space, held up by their connecting wires after the walls themselves were consumed.

This apparatus needs to be saved, as the deckhouse that has protected it until now is collapsing. I have noted the ongoing collapse of the roof of that deckhouse even saw it in person during my dive to the wreck last year (2019). It won't be long before the remains of the roof collapses on top of the apparatus, just like it did over Captain’s Smith bathtub (which we noted for the first time last year).

The wreck doesn't belong to us or this time. We are lucky to still have the wreck in exploitable condition now. Future generations won't have that luxury that we take for granted. They will want to connect to Titanic and any artifacts we rescue from the disintegrating wreck now will be their link to the ship and its story. I would think as radio men, you would want this piece of communications history preserved forever"

KC1FUU, KD5SHY, KD4IMA and 6 others like this.
  14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Put it on eBay “...worked good the last time it was used ... no manual ... “

WV9L, KI4FKW, W0AQ and 8 others like this.
  15. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is better and easier to build a replica/copy.

73, Maximo

N3PZZ and (deleted member) like this.