ad: Alphaant-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. January 29, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jan 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you want to try being here in the UK our official body the RSGB , the magazine they publish is nothing short of a ML & s lynch sales catalouge with a few pages of "other stuff" and readers letters as a after thought, even at big ham shows the rsgb book stall cant even bring the full range of stock,first thing in the morning, i pay my fee to be able to recieve/send cards through the boro, boy are they going to get a shock when i send 2000 cards in on my old callsign to go out£43 yep worth it to send 2000 cards out,but also here in the UK if you are a active QSLer (over 3500 outward bound) a year they consider whether to charge you more bloody pathetic, theres my 2p worth (dimes to US readers:) )

VE3VXO and K9UR like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your expletive deleted windbag comment is totally uncalled for. But....quite frankly you are doing something wrong or your OS is not current with current digital editions.
    Your description of zooming being only a + or - key is not current with any of the e edition mags, newspapers, or books I subscribe to. I recall that years ago....but not today. That's all I was attempting to say. If you find e editions cumbersome than definitely stick with what ever you are doing.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

You are comparing an inflation rate against a fixed interest rate. Are you saying that the fixed interest rate between 1975 and 2019 is actually acheivable? Have you factored in 3 or 4 severe market downturns since 1975?

Quite a few investment options have not kept up with the inflation rate since 1975. In fact some investments have become worthless.
    So the fact remains....he has saved $381.86 in today's dollars. What he could have earned is totally hypothetical and means nothing in this analysis.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have also not factored in the 15% interest rates of the 80s. Some studies have been done on the "savings" of life membership, mostly it has been a wash. Bragging he saved money is not real. Plus he missed out on free handbooks I got by delaying renewal offered as an incentive to reup.

5. N2NOW

N2NOW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yawn !!!

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AREDN is a great initiative. As for'competing interests', that is not the nature of Part 97. When Part 97 licensees fail to show mission objectives compellingly for a given band, it is guaranteed that spectrum loss will follow.

We see ourselves as doodling, noodling hobbyists. The rest of the world sees us as holders of spectrum that needs to be justified. Defense=use. Or loss results.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    WA4KFZ and KX4O like this.
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is like Kenny from South Park.

8. K5QBX

K5QBX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

37 people on the board of directors? That can't be right...

9. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems about right:

15 Directors
    15 Vice-Directors
    President, 1st VP, 2nd VP, Intl Affairs VP, Treasurer
    CEO, CFO

So yep, that's 37.

We also invite the IARU (President or secretary), President of RAC and President of the ARRL Foundation to Board meetings. We also have an administrative manager to record the minutes and the (staff) director of operations to run the recorder and audio. And we have our corporate and FCC counsel present.

The meeting room is pretty crowded.

10. N2RJ

Based on how he received criticisms of facebook postings, I doubt it.

11. N2RJ

He wasn't my hire, nor my choice. But I did my best to work with him.

He eventually failed to deliver on many things, much of which weren't really all that difficult. The EC minutes will tell you exactly what in some cases (October 2019).

Based on the latter, he did not receive my vote to renew.

K8VHL likes this.
  12. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

all the arrl has done is to turn ham radio into one big cb band 10-4 good buddy
    drop the code to get more menberships
    dumb down test twice = more menberships
    before long they well just give you a call sign when you buy a new radio and menbership

WA5VGO, K8JHR and K1OIK like this.
  13. W5RG

W5RG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my last issue in Dec and that is it for me.. They have never been my voice in the first place..I still get CQ and enjoy reading that..QST has just been a big waste of money for me!

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that's a shame.

The ARRL also has great services for on the air activities from Log of the World; DXCC; contesting; and much more.

IOW, QST is just a small portion of what ARRL has to offer to members.

Chip W1YW

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Will the board minutes from January be more explicit on what those delivery failures are? Not debating, just wondering why we have to read between the lines from last October.

For example: was 'life long learning' one of them?

Chip W1YW