ad: elecraft

M6.7 Quake from Turkey effects 40 m Net in North America

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jan 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathkit green or Drake gray-green?

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, fair enough, but a quick Google search will yield many other such articles. Perhaps all their authors are crackpots. Indeed, as I stated previously, there are many arguments as to the cause of these waves in the ionosphere including geomagnetic storms and very strong storms in the stratosphere.

I have been contacted by a researcher at a major university - indeed, the person who determined that the sound of the radio signals was due to Doppler. It's been a few years. When last I heard from him, we were discussing the idea of establishing a network like I described, at some of the other universities in his state. Coincidentally, I see from one of the NASA articles that two of the researchers are at San Jose State U., which was my alma mater. I'll have to ask somebody if W6YL has been approached to help.

QRZ somehow lost a very long list of articles out there. Here are some fairly good ones -
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-56599-1 Recent article from Nature.

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/educators/earthquakes.html Excellent one from Stanford that talks about research at NASA Ames.

https://geoscienceletters.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40562-016-0038-3 Interesting article from Japan

So, some serious science is happening out there. I don't think they're all nuts or bad scientists. Not with the serious associations with major institutions. I will not name the school I was contacted by, but I think it's regarded as one of the top scientific institutions in the country.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    VE7DXW, K7GYB, KK4NSF and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree they are not all bad scientists, and real research is being conducted. The belief is that movement below the surface releases radon that in turn increases the total electron count (highly disputed) but does happen and the higher electron count actually improves propagation, very close to the source but this can happen a year to a day prior to the quake so even on board with the supporters are you detecting a pre quake, post quake, no quake even the top experts cant nail it down.During the quake possible gravity waves and radio waves can occur but every paper I see states within the same area as it is felt so again close proximity and may dissipate along magnetic lines (in theory) the problem is there is no consistency doesn't happen for every major earth quake, happens and there is no earth quake. Doesn't happen to the point that most large scale research seems to indicate they are not related or coincidence. Now these factors and research into them are a long long way from saying the noontime net was disrupted by it and it lingered on for days! satellites did not pick up a massive emission on 7MHZ? 40 meters from a point source would be highly findable by direction finding it doesn't just miraculously appear 10,000 miles away over the west coast? Just like the seismograph can tell you the location, strength and depth of quake. The worldwide network of inosondes showed no change? Just about every major country has satellites spanning the globe that can pick up radio communication heck intel satellites are looking for it! Especially in the HF spectrum so why no detection of HF being emitted from earthquake areas especially given the strength they would be putting out? The supporters documentation shows an improvement in propagation due to higher electron count in the general area. Again how was it tied to Turkey? Could have been the precursor to the large swarm of earthquakes that occurred in Alaska today? So as I said in my first post make the claim then you provide the proof or you have left science and started a tabloid.

KR3DX, VE7DXW, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s an interesting study and I’m not taking sides. There is no harm in monitoring. However, even if propagation monitoring does provide an early warning, I’m not sure what value there is in knowing that an earthquake is likely to occur “somewhere.”

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, there are a few serious inquiries of hypothesized ways in which earthquakes might be related to the ionosphere. I don’t dismiss them out of hand. But so far, none have been demonstrated to actually connect them as far as I know.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy National Bubblewrap Appreciation Day

KR3DX, K0UO and AK5B like this.
  7. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a special event station?

KR3DX, K0UO and AK5B like this.
  8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno, Maybe we should get busy popping on this??

KR3DX and K0UO like this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, right.

Before you make bold "factual" proclamations like this you also might want to look into the difference between "effect" and "affect," too.

KR3DX, K0UO and W4HM like this.
  10. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the mere mention of "critical thinking" in an earlier post set him off?

11. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee there must be earthquake activity somewhere most of the time. :D

KR3DX, VE7DXW and K0UO like this.
  12. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

there was one earlier, but apparently the mods deleted or changed it. Thank you Mr Mod.

K0UO likes this.
  13. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-1-27_11-15-23.jpeg

KR3DX, KF4ZKU and KA0HCP like this.
  14. G8XQB

G8XQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KR3DX, KE0QQQ, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  15. G8XQB

G8XQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

M6.7 Quake from Turkey effects 40 m Net in North America

...shouldn't that be AFFECTS???

KR3DX, AG6QR, K0UO and 4 others like this.