ad: ProAudio-1

M6.7 Quake from Turkey effects 40 m Net in North America

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jan 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

The disruption is not through RF-signals, but through ionosphereic shockwaves that make reception difficult and scatter the ionosphere A.

2. VE7DXW

You are absolutely rigth.....the earth really never stops shaking! A.

3. VE7DXW

The disruption is not through RF-signals, but through ionosphereic shockwaves that make reception difficult A.

4. VE7DXW

I have read that one too.... the reason they did not find a correlation is because they only looked at local events and not worldwide... A

5. VE7DXW

The reason the Ionsondes can not see eathquakes is because they are only measurning in 15 min intervals and are designed to ingnore unusual data.
    Here is a paper that will explain it:
    (ref 1) Philippe Lognonne, Eric Clevede, and Hiroo Kanamori, Geophys. J. Int.(1998) 135,338-406

http://www3.telus.net/public/bc237/MDSR/Atmosphere Osc.pdf

A.

6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't read many of the posts but I get the gist of it.
    I will say that I have encountered some very, let's say,
    conspicuously paranormal phenomena vis-a-viz quakes.
    So, needing evidence? Yes Carl Sagan was rather a stickler for proofs.
    Then again, he set up SETI. And we know what type responses mentions of SETI will illicit!

Carl Sagan also had great respect for ancient faiths, such as the Hindi, their God of infinite cycles of Creation & Destruction, as clearly elucidated in the TV-series 'Cosmos' (available still on DVD).

Around 2oo9 thru '12, I went through an intense period of being able to predict earthquakes.
    I got it right, eight or nine times but consecutively, meaning without a gap. Each one correct.
    I have no evidence recorded. With a bit of effort, I could have. There is a witness or two though.
    Look at it this way? Christ was tempted on the mountain. 'I will give you dominion over all the world for one act of worship to me', right! Is that a metaphor? Who knows? You weren't there!

Again, Satan also tempted Christ to make bread to save himself from starvation in the wilderness.
    Now, I worked in a bakery, making 2000 loaves a night-shift to feed the well-to-do and down & outs alike of Notting-Hill & the West-end. You get my gist? This is now totally irrelevant but fun.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

c'est plus facile de trouver des OM qui cherchent que des OM qui trouvent ! Alors un peu de sérénité, laisser du temps au temps !
    Chris A+

8. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be an odd world if there was never a coincidence

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Effect is a noun. Affect is a verb. Hmm...

11. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check your dictionary. "Effect" is commonly a noun, but it can also be a verb. When it is a verb, its meaning is not the same as "affect".

WW4JF likes this.
  12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I will NEVER use effect as a verb. Nor should you. :)

13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Merriam-Webster sez
    Effect vs. Affect: Usage Guide
    Verb

Effect and affect are often confused because of their similar spelling and pronunciation. The verb affect entry 3 usually has to do with pretense. she affected a cheery disposition despite feeling down The more common verb affect entry 1 denotes having an effect or influence. the weather affected everyone's mood The verb effect goes beyond mere influence; it refers to actual achievement of a final result. the new administration hopes to effect a peace settlement The uncommon noun affect, which has a meaning relating to psychology, is also sometimes mistakenly used for the very common effect. In ordinary use, the noun you will want is effect. waiting for the new law to take effect the weather had an effect on everyone's mood

14. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll use it as any part of speech that will effect the communication I want to achieve.

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. I still will not follow such uncommon usage. English is fickle.