ad: portazero-1

M6.7 Quake from Turkey effects 40 m Net in North America

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jan 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

"In North America the popular 40 m net on 7.2835 MHz was severely disrupted."

What is the name of that "popular 40 m net?"

KF4ZKU and VE7DXW like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is fascinating and worth watching and collecting data. Does this always happen prior to a quake? Is it always an hour prior to the quake. Is there a specific range of spectrum that is affected? When living in southern California I remember some people reporting hearing "popcorn" noise on HF and VHF some minutes prior to a quake. I never observed it myself. Supposedly it was piezoelectric static being produced from a sudden increase of compression between land masses on either side of a fault line. Sounds interesting but I've never heard it. What I do remember was that there was a very active earthquake net on one or more VHF repeaters covering much of southern California. Most members had constructed pendulums in their homes or garages so immediately after a quake they would run to the pendulum to observe it's direction of swing. Upon everyone reporting on the net their pendulum direction the epicenter could be triangulated and rather accurately. Not that it did anyone any good, it was just interesting to do.

KK4NSF and VE7DXW like this.
  4. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the Noontime net and it happens every day on 7.2835 MHz in North America.

Here is the link:
    https://groups.io/g/hfpack

All the best and thank you for the interest!

Alex – VE7DXW

WZ7U, KA2FIR and WA8FOZ like this.
  5. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the release of so much energy within the earth has totally unexpected results, maybe not. Here's a semi-scientific source that discusses whether animals can "predict" earthquakes. The conclusion: maybe yes, maybe not. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2003/11/animals-sense-earthquakes/ Still, it is interesting to play with potential paths for all this power. If it was actually predictable (magnitude, locale, time) this could save a lot of lives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for an easy answer.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I applaud the OP’s zeal. But unfortunately your list is appropriate considering all the fruitless efforts by you, me and others here, going back many months, to educate and help the OP to define a testable hypothesis and then go about a proper statistical analysis.

KR3DX, AK5B, W4HM and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA4KBD

WA4KBD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, where exactly is there any discussion of national politics in this thread? I can't find any such reference...

8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Even JESUS knows Nets are for Fish & HE will tell you where to throw your Net & catch lots of fish. At least nothing Important was affected. {:>)

Clayton
    W4KVW

K0UO likes this.
  9. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

KX4O and WJ4U like this.
  10. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not a scientist but there are 20,000 to 30,000 measured earthquakes per year! so exactly when do the RF bands recover? between 1,500 to 2,500 are above 5 magnitude? 50 to 150 can be stronger than the one that hit turkey so wheres the major blackout everyday? I often listen to the noontime net and listen to check ins, i am pretty well located and there have been plenty of days just in the last summer where conditions where absolutely atrocious and normally booming stations needed a relay. The headline Quake in Turkey effects 40 meter net basically states it as fact. The question is did anyone else say in Europe have a 40 meter blackout? After all they were much closer so should have been worse there, how about Africa or Asia 20 minutes ago a 5.7 earthquake struck Alaska thats a lot closer than turkey but 40 meters is just fine? So we need to find some frequency any frequency that has interference to validate tying the two events together? So not sure you can call tying random events together science or fact?

KR3DX, AB9TO and K0UO like this.
  11. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You folks are making fun of something that is being actively examined by real scientists, and their methods sound more refined, while in reality, they bear some similarity with the methods developed by the OP. I think the OP deserves some respect for taking the time and effort to put his tools together. The results of his observations are there for anyone to use. If they disprove theories, that is as important as proving them. So far, I think he's on to something.

My take is that we don't fully understand why it happens, but there is plenty of evidence that it does happen. Waves or ripples in the ionosphere are a fact. That they are caused by earthquakes, as well as other things such as huge storms is a fact. Very strong VLF signals have been detected prior to major geologic events, such as volcanic eruptions and big quakes. There was a well reported case in Europe, and I received a report from a scientist who was at Mt. St. Helens the night before it's eruption.

Here's another very interesting article from a scientific journal -https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijge/2012/131842/ I believe this was one of the original Russian investigators. He talks about the Good Friday quake and it's reported precursor, which was one of the three my father said he had observed.

I wanted to find a way to automatically measure the Doppler on HF signals from highly quake prone regions. Most of the time, it would be attributed to other causes, but I believe that part of the time, it would be attributable to something happening prior to a big quake. The gravity wave theory is interesting. We know that gravity waves follow large quakes, but the same symptoms are often seen before the quake. This was reported in a Russian scientific journal a couple decades ago as a conjecture, because the existence of gravity waves had not been confirmed then.

I still believe that the ham community has unique abilities that would make this much more interesting, and possibly useful for detecting 'the big one'. A set of beacons coupled with receivers that would automatically detect the characteristics associated with quakes could be set up.

VE7DXW, WQ4G, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.
  12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all papers or journals are equal. That journal is ranked 83rd in SCI journal rankings, with tiny impact ratings. And journal reviewers aren’t equal either as everyone has limited time. The best ( second best, third best...) people in the subject are unlikely to be reviewing papers for such journals. There are even vanity journals which will publish anything for a fee.

Now, maybe the authors are on to something. But chances are very, very slim since the paper is now seven years old, and papers in the best geophysical journals have found no relationship between the ionosphere and earthquakes.

W4HM and AK5B like this.
  13. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Making fun, No. show me the data that shows a large RF release emanating from the area of the turkey earthquake, show me tracking it through the earths crust or core or hitting the atmosphere and bouncing here to where it appeared in the sky and disrupted the 40 meter west coast net? I did not come on here and make a spectacular claim, those who make claims are responsible for proving them. I just looked at the ionosphere map for the past week and you can watch several very large areas of bad propagation as they moves across far north Canada and northern U.S. it was there well before the quake hit and moved right on afterward following the SUN? So again the worldwide ionosondes didn't pick anything up? No major change in the ionosphere but "Quake in Turkey effects 40 meter net" Nothing to do with being in the solar minimum we've been in?? There was a jump in the electron flux at the same time out in space. If the claim was provable or repeatable it would be in one of those scientific journals as well as Nobel prize consideration instead it is sensational headlines on the QRZ forum? Show me the data that proves that quake did what he claims it did! There have been 15 earthquakes on Amantinak island Alaska TODAY! 6.1 to 4.4! that many in one spot all in the last 12 hours! should be real easy to prove this hypothesis, let me guess we have tracked a slight drop in the 2 meter band in Madagascar.

KR3DX, VE7DXW and W4KVW like this.
  14. K7ITL

K7ITL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds to me like the case of the homeopathic believer who died from an overdose. He forgot to take his pill!

Mike

AK5B and WA8FOZ like this.
  15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh...my cheese just turned green, go figure....

KA0HCP likes this.