ad: AbAuRe-1

Politico Article Raises Concerns of Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah that's true. I like the idea and hopefully we can do that sometime.

I agree, our opinions mostly only differ on this forum and i'm sure you're a great guy in person. I won't hold that against you or anything lol.

KK5JY likes this.
  2. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd much rather have breakfast in Cabbagetown.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

Yeah me too. It's been a while since I had breakfast anywhere in Toronto actually.

W8LV likes this.
  4. KE5HDF

KE5HDF Ham Member QRZ Page

KE5HDF here...the first thing you need to do is find out WHY your particular HOAs say no to everything radio.. I am probably one of the lucky few, but asking WHY opened the door to a constructive conversation. I live in a neighborhood that is 45 years old. the deed restrictions specify "antennas allowed up to 10 feet above peak of the house". When I first became licensed, the HOA told me they would not allow me to bring in a radio transmitter. I politely explained they had no jurisdiction ...FCC license and NOT in deed restrictions, and I asked them WHY?? the answer was that some guy ran 1KW on CB 20 years ago and blew up TV channel 2 and the old wireless phone handsets. Well...I explained that frequencies have changed for TV and cell phones where they do not interact that way anymore PLUS I will be the emergency communications center for the neighborhood (1400 homes) when a hurricane strikes. 5 minutes of discussion and they said "never mind" . They also know that I relayed messages about a broken natural gas line to our EOC during Hurricane Harvey.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, as long as were chatting on about ARPA...

...several months ago, when ARPA was still a stand-alone bill, there was an obscure note in an ARRL document of some kind... I think it was minutes from a meeting, but I don't remember specifically. The note said that in the event that ARPA should pass, it would be forward to FCC with some kind of "special instructions" attached to it. Did anybody ever figure out what that was all about? It caught my curiosity, but I never saw any further explanation.

Now that ARPA is almost certain to pass under the flag of NDAA, it should be safe to discuss whatever that was (assuming that stealth was the reason that it wasn't discussed further originally).

6. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah... Were Tired of "The Three R's".
    Instead, we'll just put some legislation in place to clip their HOA wings a bit...

7. KC8VWM

Funny, I once asked my HOA that very same question and they said they didn't know. All they said is it was "because of the rules."

They had absolutely no idea nor could they explain why the no antenna rule was created though. It appears that information was lost somewhere and they simply just didn't know.

8. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As someone living in a very strict HOA all I can say is that if ARPA becomes law, there is absolutely no downside for me. None. It can't get worse than it already is.

My stealth antenna will stay put regardless of ARPA. If it passes though, maybe I get to keep my dipole up.

N5PZJ, KC8VWM and W8LV like this.
  9. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

They just didn't like you because you are a Canadian.

10. KC8VWM

And because they seen this video...

Guess you're going to have to "watch it on you tube"..lol

The master plan is we are all going to take over antenna restrictions in HOA's.

11. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this one came from Fox News:

N5PZJ, WJ4U and KC8VWM like this.
  12. KC8VWM

I don't know if the "letter story" is actually true or not, but i'm sure the ARRL is going to have some involvement after ARPA is passed.

13. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the ARRL will tell the FCC that it's supposed to be OKAY from here on out to leave your garage door up, paint your place purple, and that guests AND Hookers ARE allowed to park in your space without a sticker overnight without being towed. AND have a 160 Meter Vertical in the yard. And you know what?
    That all seems FAIR to me.

14. KC8VWM

And they will have to allow Beavers as household pets.

N5PZJ likes this.
  15. KC8VWM

I think for most people not much will actually change except for the freedom to install an antenna without having to live under the radar, or hide in the shadows with stealth antennas they "hope" won't be discovered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.