ad: CQMM-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to start a flame war here, but I'm curious. What "skill" is required to operate RTTY, JT65, PSK, or Packet beyond knowing how to hook up the equipment and knowing which macro to use when? Beyond that, it's typing on a keyboard and reading the response on the screen. Exactly the same as texting or instant messaging.

Jim, W8LGZ

K4XJ and K7LZR like this.
  2. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, quite untrue. RTTY, SSTV,EME, JT65 et al are all communication modes which require special hardware and/or software to use. After initial setup, No real proficiency need be demonstrated beyond that which is required to properly operate the apparatus and send and receive messages.

Morse code? Whole different ballgame. You can use a machine to send and receive Morse Code if you like but it is not required. The true skill is in that encoder/decoder which sits between your ears - no other equipment needed! A crack CW operator can often detect usable signals up to 10db below the noise level!. A lot of machines can't even do that.

I once worked a fellow on SSB who was aboard an Arco oil tanker off the California coast. He was the ship's radio officer, and he paused a couple of times for about 1-2 seconds during the conversation. Turns out that he simultaneously handled the ship's CW traffic while talking to me. Pretty cool I thought!

I still maintain that a basic understanding of Morse Code should be required - it could very well save yours and others' lives. It is the ONLY radio mode which requires ONLY a basic oscillator to transmit and the most basic of receivers to receive.

K4XJ, N2SUB and W8LGZ like this.
  3. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ on proficiency. But then again I've never worked you off the Moon on JT65B or JT65C. Moon conditions always dictate a degree of skill especially on CW. Doppler, Faraday and Fading on 432 and 1296 Ghz all require skills on any given day.You should hear CW coming back from the Moon in your headphones...very different.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? How about requiring hams know CPR? That's a skill that would save a LOT more lives...

I thought this horse died a long time ago...

41522edb4f42599180c0c0982df855213164a9577ae3f97d45a03b18dd159c23.jpg

KD0TLS, KF4ZKU, AD0JA and 4 others like this.
  5. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to know the reasoning behind that statement.
    For those that are already Hams, they have passed their tests. For those who are not Hams, but would wish to be, a relevant emergency skill is not passed down to new Hams.

Since the US has depreciated the skill, we see less and less Techs on the HF bands, and Extras (Most Skill?) who can't send without a keyboard and a decoder.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but nothing of value is given away.

We depreciate the value of the license every time we publish the answers to a multiple choice test and don't test Operator skills.

K4XJ, G4HOM, N0IRS and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't know cw you don't know dit...cw is the best mode yet..The new generation is too lazy to learn it...I know as I view each generation they are not as bright as the one before..I blame the internet for most of the problems ....

KF4ZKU, W8LGZ and YV5WZ like this.
  7. K7LZR

Quite true I'm sure but as you just said - the majority of that skill is required when using CW. That generally means that you must be able to decode Morse Code in your head, no machine required. JT65 etc. do indeed require skill in order to retrieve the message BUT the message is still generated and received by machines and not directly by the operator. So those machines are required in order to complete the mission of creating, transmitting, and receiving that message. I can decode Morse Code and make sense from it whether it be sent via spoon banging, flashing light, or radio receiver.

Two different types of skills, both relevant but only one can really come through in truly minimal circumstances.

8. YV5WZ

YV5WZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"The article states that they still practice Morse code, but they need to drop the requirement for Health and Safety reasons "

Oh ! Yes...maybe it is because all Jamaicans Ham Amateurs are suffering Metacarpal Syndrome......Good reason!!
    Many More healthy Ham Radio Amateurs*

*Hope they dont be studying ham amateurs coffee and sleep behavior.....they could be forbidden ....for health and Safety reasons

G0RQQ and K4XJ like this.
  9. K7LZR

Horse isn't dead yet, just sleeping. The reason that Hams are not and should not be required to know CPR is because it isn't a skill which is relevant to communications or the conveyance of messages. Morse Code is directly relevant to communications and especially emergency communications, which is one of the primary justifications for ham radio itself.

I am a fitness instructor by day and I am required to maintain current CPR and AED training along with other certifications for that but I am not required to know Morse Code for it because Morse Code isn't relevant to using an AED machine nor performing chest compressions in order to pump blood.....

YV5WZ likes this.
  10. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it is snobbery. I've held my license for nearly 20 years and have yet to find a reason that requires me to use CW (I know it well enough to understand it slowly). That runs rampant here on QRZ and we're all worse off for it. I prefer phone so I can get to know the person by their voice, not some machine-generated dits and dahs. If I wanted that, I'd go listen to an analog modem handshake.

Sean

KR3DX, KD0TLS and KK2DOG like this.
  11. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the 21st century, Jamaica!

KR3DX and K1FBI like this.
  12. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You missed the point. Like the rest of the world Jamaica realized the "skill" is no longer RELEVANT.

KR3DX likes this.
  13. K1FBI

Don't kid yourself. Most 11 year olds have more electronics and internet savvy than you ever will.

KR3DX likes this.
  14. K7LZR

True enough that there are those who are quite snobbish about how they know Morse Code and you don't, and I think that that is just wrong. If you look at my QRZ page it says that I spent the first 15 years or so on HF mostly on CW. Ok, fine. But I have never, ever been snobby to anyone who doesn't know Morse Code and I never will be. Very fine that your interest isn't in CW Sean, can't say that it should be. But do give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back because you did take and pass a basic CW proficiency test and you do know it well enough to possibly be of real value with it should the need ever arise. Congratulations! :)

KR3DX likes this.
  15. K1FBI

Yes, JT65 would be the one to come through!