ad: ProAudio-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't answer my question. Again:

2. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm kind of amazed that they were/are still giving code exams pretty much anywhere.

As a young volunteer examiner, I really liked giving code exams. I was sad when they went by the wayside, but I understood why.

I still do code pretty much every day.

I listened to a W1AW bulletin as I was typing, and have taught code classes over the local repeater several times in the past 12 months.

It's still my favorite mode at 48, although I can no longer copy my age in WPM...but I'm close.

You want code to thrive? Use it. Teach it. Show it off at Field Day. Do a demonstration at a club meeting. Work weak signal CW on 6 meters.

Morse will continue to be because it works well. If you want a mode that uses the brain between your ears and comes with a good S/N ratio advantage, you've got it.

Scott N7JI

3. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First off you were wrong, don't waffle out of it.
    Secondly drill/ream next size up and press in bronze bushing..easy fix..you're welcome.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay on topic! Ja-makin me crazy!

I like unicorns!

K1FBI likes this.
  5. K1FBI

I like frogs....

6. WA7PRC

You are correct. The 8-track player was invented around the time my classic car (non specific production date and brand) was built. I should've stated it was not available in that year and model. And you brought it up, not me.
    Correct. I'm capable of doing that and wanted to know how much you know. Thanks for playing. ;)

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh... learned something new today. That's why I love QRZ!

u·ni·corn
    ˈyo͞onəˌkôrn/
    noun

1. 1.
      a mythical animal typically represented as a horse with a single straight horn projecting from its forehead.
    2. 2.
      a start-up company valued at more than a billion dollars, typically in the software or technology sector.
      "a currency-exchange unicorn"

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Also known as a palindrome. The more you know...
    1HtleGo.png
    Just paying it forward. Your welcome.

KF4ZKU, AD0JA and WA7PRC like this.
  9. YV5WZ

YV5WZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Or just activate your EPIRB and know help is on the way."

EPIRB could useful at States......but.......dont think would be helpful on caribean sea.......most of islands dont have a really "go team"

Cheers!!

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

My welcome what? :p

11. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. But what if you don't have an EPIRB? Can the EPIRB work with a signalling light?

12. K1FBI

Some EPIRBs also have a high brightness LED flashing light that aids final visual location. I think if help is close enough to signal with your waterproof flashlight in hopes they know morse code, then they are probably close enough to just yell or use your distress air horn. Maybe launch a flare or two.

But hey it might work. I think any kid born in the 60's like myself knows the Morse for SOS.

KD0TLS and K7LZR like this.
  13. K1FBI

Maybe now that they got rid of code they will add a response team for the region.

14. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do understand and you are right on many of these things. But it seems that a lot of people here are missing the point - Morse Code will work without the need for electronic encoders and decoders and in some cases nothing but a simple CW oscillator, transmitter, or even just a signaling light. It is among the simplest forms of communication. Practicality? Try to save a life with a digital mode when all that is left during the disaster are table radios and flashlights. Even the Boy Scouts still understand this and will award a merit badge for proficiency in it.

".....You remove a requirement, and suddenly, it's something cool to learn!.....". True but unfortunately too few are interested and willing.

No worries though and I do respect the opinions of all in this discussion. And besides, its far too late - no way will the Jamaicans, Americans or anybody else ever bring back the Morse code requirement so its on you to learn it if you can truly see the value of it.....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    WA7PRC likes this.
  15. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is sad that the Jamaican regulator now are among those that do not any longer value quality in amateur radio.

The quality had been starting to decline before, but the WRC 2003 decision to abolish the treaty Morse requirement
    became the final act of appeasement to the CB:ers wanting to create "instant hams" that get their privileges without giving any effort.

The numbers of licencees may have increased, but the actual number of active amateurs and their "half-lives" has significantly diminished.
    When the treaty Morse requirement was in force, it took some dedication and effort to learn the skill, which in the long run also created higher-quality radio amateurs.

If only a small fraction of the time and energy spent over the years on whining about the Morse requirement had been used on actually learning it,
    this would have remained a non-problem.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K4XJ, K8LGY and WA7PRC like this.