ad: UR5CDX-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it would. But ONLY if you have the necessary equipment set up and operating. JT65 doesn't work on the sea on your boat when you're sinking and power is all but gone and seconds are precious. But you can still short the PTT on your only working radio and send a distress message and hope to God that someone somewhere can still decode CW and help you.....

W8LGZ likes this.
  2. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

And by the way, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is really, really good and so we will excuse them from having to know Morse Code.

3. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or just activate your EPIRB and know help is on the way.
    I'll put my trust in a professional rescue system before I end up like the Titanic.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Horse is waay dead. The requirement horse, that is. CW is alive and well!

As a requirement in this day and age, it's silly. Back in the day, having a pool of technically savvy operators (who knew CW) was an asset as CW was used in all sorts of military and commercial communications. Show me where this is true today. And my CPR point was one of practicality - if we really want to save lives with the aging ham population, knowing CPR will do just that.

There was a time when the hobby tracked the technology being developed and used - early sat coms, SSTV, SSB, ATV, etc. In the VERY beginning, hams were inventing and experimenting with new hardware, modulation techniques, discovering propagation modes, etc. Just 30 years ago an FM HT talking thru a phone patch on a local repeater was pretty cool! Today we wonder where the youngsters are - guess what - they are hacking computers, Raspberry Pi's, developing apps on their phone, etc. We don't have relevance to that group (as a whole) anymore. The kids in the 50's and 60's who became hams were part of a young hobby at the time. Now it's an old hobby. Keeping a CW requirement does nothing to help this, and reinforces the "ham" stereotype. If you haven't noticed, I am firmly against a requirement.

But guess what? You remove a requirement, and suddenly, it's something cool to learn! We need the kids with an interest in SDR, FPGA's, writing code, melting solder, etc. They are there, and we have something to offer, but we seem to be stuck firmly in the past at times.

If mode proficiency needs to be tested, I'd start with the digital modes - know how to adjust a station to transmit a clean JT9/PSK/RTTY/etc.,

KR3DX likes this.
  5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We like the modes we like. And it doesn't matter whether anyone else likes them.

Next?

KR3DX, WG7X and KG7VTO like this.
  6. K1FBI

Don't forget the Bobsled Team

7. K1FBI

So silly, it's like telling a newer ASE certified mechanic they aren't a real mechanic unless the can set points or rebuild a carburator, by Gawd!
    40 years later Time marches on.

KR3DX, KN6Q and W5WTC like this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

If this is your plan, you'd be dead. That is something that Hollywood would bet on, not a competent mariner. EPIRB's, life jackets, life boats, survival gear (Gumby suits!) are they way you save your hide. 75-100 years ago, sending a CW distress was they way it was done. Not today.

And besides, this scenario makes CW a maritime issue, not a ham issue. CW is just not going to save your life in the real world. Learn CW to enjoy it, work DX, rag chew, do more with less, etc. It's a great mode!

KR3DX likes this.
  9. WX4CAZ

WX4CAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HERE WE GO, OPEN THE FLOOD GATES, NOW ALL ILL HEAR ON THE RADIO IS JAMAICA.... OMG MIGHT AS WELL SELL MY STUFF...

10. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

It should have happen eons ago .

K1FBI likes this.
  11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't care if a mechanic is ASE certified or not, as long as (s)he can rebuild the Carter AVS carburetor on my classic car.

Back on topic, Morse is FUN. Those who shun it are missing out.

vy 73 es gd dx om,
    Bryan WA7PRC

12. K1FBI

I can rebuild it and I can even show you how to use a book of matches to make your 8-Track play well.

13. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you repair worn throttle shaft bores?
    The 8-track was not invented 'til later.

14. K1FBI

I got dibs on the 7600.

15. K1FBI

Incorrect, Chrysler used that carb even in 1971. My 1970 Mach 1 had an 8 Track player. Ford first offered 8 Tracks in their entire 1966 model line-up.