ad: CQMM-1

Yaesu FT 891 Install And First Contact

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are thinking of adding a new radio to your shack or mobile check out this video on the new Yaesu FT-891! It is my opinion that you can't go wrong with the FT-891. I found it easy to set up, has great sound. Yaesu has even enlarged the display from what was on the FT-857D! The FT-891 is replacing my FT-857D in my mobile.
    Snip20170217_4.png

W4KSL, PH5E, CT3HU and 4 others like this.
  2. N4OLR

N4OLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the video.
    I bought mine last week and having a fun time with it.
    Made my own remote for my desk top, added an MD100 desk mike and an external speaker.
    Also added Ham Radio Deluxe for my 42 inch monitor. Works and looks great.
    I tailored the audio on both receive and transmit and getting unsolicited reports.
    Triple conversion with all the bells and whistles is a lot of radio for $700.00 bucks.
    I was looking at the reviews on Eham and most of the guys don't understand the radio.
    I give it a 5. Back the rf gain down and run the dnr. Great sounding radio.
    Check my video on the 857D on my website. You might like it. www.ko4ch.com

Jerry

WJ6F likes this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry,
    Thanks for the comment and watching the video! Great video you have on the 857D. I have seen your video on more than one occasion. I still need to get the filter you mention for my FT-857D. I do enjoy this FT-891, but I won't likely ever part with my FT-857D. I have a couple videos on my youtube channel showing the FT-857D and at this time two videos on the FT-891.

4. OE7SEL

OE7SEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is a great Radio - fast the same Mods as a big Radio!
    The option Tuner FC 50 is good fer outdoor activity with some Antennas.
    73 OE7SEL Erwin

WJ6F likes this.
  5. AF4KK

AF4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a GREAT radio! While I'm still learning it, it's a good performer with many, many parameters to customize! It sounds excellent on the air! :D

WJ6F likes this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been debating on getting the FC-50. Right now though I am using it mobile so it is hooked up to my ATAS 120A.

7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

It is true there is a lot to customize on here, but it is worth for the great sound you get!

8. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like a FT891, but the lack of VHF/UHF is a deal breaker and it's not even comparable to the 857 since it doesn't have that functionality.

I've been chugging away on my FT857D ever since I got my ticket 10 years ago, it's got thousands of hours of QSOs on it and not a single problem, at full power all the time pretty much, unless I feel like doing QRP. It gets used every day, sometimes on 12+ hours a day. Doing a lot of straight up digital on it too. Sometimes it gets so hot I can literally cook burgers on it.

W4KSL and WJ6F like this.
  9. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Not having the VHF/UHF is why I kept my FT-857D. Run the FT-891 in my car and since I already have the FTM-400 in the car the FT-891 not having the VHF/UHF is fine. I haven't used my 857D for digital yet.

W4KSL likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One disappointment in many reviews so far, for me, is the lack of showing the bandscope feature of this radio.

K4BSC and WJ6F like this.
  11. BH1UDS

BH1UDS Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry for double post

12. BH1UDS

BH1UDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm
    Is there any fan inside of this rig?
    Such a small station will be nice for operating in outside field,but if operated this one in a sunny summer day
    i am a little worry about the temperature

13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Per the brosure, there are dual fans inside. The fan menu option is 5-20 and can be set to either "Normal" or "Contest"

14. F4HLX

F4HLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonjour jais le ft yaesu 891 depuit 1 mois et fonctionne très bien en fixe ou en mobile pour les activitè fff ou autre très facile d'utilisation programme rapidement en place ce n'ais pas l'usine a gaz hii 73 de f4hlx guy

15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Merci de regarder cette vidéo et de le commenter! J'espère que j'ai dit ça