ad: MLSons-1

Hamvention finds new home in Greene County | Dayton News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ND8D, Aug 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Xeniaphilia:)

3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    WF9Q likes this.
  4. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Desperate to keep control"?????????

More like "We have to keep this going, nobody else is going to pick it up for us."

DARA's Hamvention® has been successful (inspite of it's location, marginal available facilities, limited hotel room inventory, etc.) because the boys and girls of DARA made it happen year after year after year after year.

If these other fine cities are so much better places to hold a big ham fest, why haven't their radio clubs stepped in with a new/improved version?

DOS Hint: Without DARA's decades of experience and dedicated volunteers there is no "Dayton hamfest" either in Dayton, Trotwood, Xenia, or Cinncinnatti.

I wish them every success in this transition. My reservations are made for May 2017.

KD8QZT, WA8FOZ, K9UR and 5 others like this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they will allow electric golf carts

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Bonnie, it may take a while for radio amateurs attending Hamvention to get used to the idea of being graded on body shape, posture and disposition! ;) However, many will like the taste treats they get.

WJ4U, WA8FOZ and K4MFD like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamvention belongs to DARA. No other group has offered to take charge.

8. KD4VJP

KD4VJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently it is time for another city, a bit larger, to plan and host a "national" Ham Radio Event. Columbus? Charlotte? Atlanta? Dallas? Good grief, folks are flocking from the Rust Belt, with their money!! I am calling our local EDC staff asap.

9. K1LB

K1LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The new venue has much lower crime statistics than Dayton ... great job team! :)

N5PZJ and N0NB like this.
  10. K9RRX

K9RRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been going to Hamvention for 2 years (15 & 16) and could see that the Hara was in deplorable shape. I kinda thought the place might be worthy of rehabbing but a closer look tells me it's better to tear down the oldest structures and start over with a 250K square foot expo hall possibly with a mezzanine level overlooking an atrium.

Unless they plan on a temporary inflatable sports dome at Greene County FG, it's going to be a disappointment and attendance by both hams and vendors will be waaaaaay down. Too bad DARA is on the wet end of the paint stirrer. The Wampler family really let them down!

11. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CQ Xenia hams, does anybody know if the Fairgrounds Campground has electric hookups? What about water and sewer? TNX de N5PZJ

W8CI likes this.
  12. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess its the best they can do on short notice but I'm guessing it will be much smaller. I see hardly any parking for tail gaiting (unless they use the grass). Without AC it's gonna get warm in some of those buildings! I wish DARA all the luck as I would imagine this transistion won't be easy.

13. ALPHAZULU

ALPHAZULU QRZ Member

they dont show any camping facilities at all. doesnt look good for rv's

14. KD2RON

KD2RON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Zenia isthe home of Skydive Greene County, the oldest such facility in the country. Plan a tandem jump while at the convention. Great family operation. Made hundreds of jumps there before retiring.

15. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, please stop the whining. Let's support the hobby and those who dare put on events like this, for us, like DARA. Attend the events. Enjoy yourselves. Buy as much stuff as you cannot afford, use, store, resell, or need. Then, when you return home, if you still feel that you and your ham buds can do a better job, THEN, by all means, step up and make the commitment. I can assure you that once you step out of your basement, cellars, garages, or other darkened dedicated hamdomes, the experience will be enlightening. Just be prepared or the online flack. Maybe, instead, just rethink and enjoy whatever ham event is still available. There is good in everything.....just have to want to recognize it when you see it.

So many great people in this hobby.....so little time and opportunities to meets them all.

Chuck

KD8QZT, K5JEF, K2XT and 9 others like this.