ad: Retevis-1

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

When's the last time you saw a truck stop selling a TS-50?

2. K8GVK

K8GVK Guest

Fred, N2RJ pretty much states the majority position....take his advice and lets follow the spirit of the law (rules).....

3. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Or even a FEMA trailer!

Cortland
    KA5S

4. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually find myself agreeing with you in most of your posts. You are a Ham that has vast experience with equipment and have intimate knowledge of the subject. I have learned a great deal form you - sir. But in this case, I must disagree with you. Simply put - it is not the fault of the seller or they buyer. We are now talking about deep-rooted legal issues for which this gov't has improperly managed.

One needs to go back to sqaure one in this whole issue. The US Gov't collected import duties on these radios. They have allowed them in to this country. They have let the genie out of the bottle. Now - they are going to collect fines and penalties for those who own them and distribute them in the US? Isn't that just a little bit hypocritical of them? Haven't they - by default - created this entire problem? Are we to be penalized by their own fault? It is so! It is time to make them (&%$#) - or get off of the pot!

It still comes down to the individaul user of this equipment - like the 'export class' radio. Does he/she use them on 10m? Should a radio - like the Yaesu FT-101E be banned for 11m ease of conversion? Or maybe the FT-897? Or others that I won't list here - because that list would become too large to list here? Where would one draw the line? Certainly - the gov't has created this problem - and now they want to balance this on the back of the common US citizen that has become a pawn? So that they can collect penalties where before they had no way of doing it before. Yes - it is hypocritical. And more. It is a conspiracy - in a sense - against the American people. Or poor legislation that has yet to be corrected...

The FCC actually goes after large businesses more than private individuals. Why? Because they can collect more money from a corporation than they could possibly do with a private citizen. Something about blood from a turnip. But that doesn't mean that they don't - or won't. They opened this can of worms, and now they are going to have to answer for it. Where is the wheels of the sytem going to run over next - unchecked? And not balance the difference on the back of its citizens. The US needs radio operators. It is a part of the citizens to organize and protect this country - even against its own govt - if necessary. As the Constitution provides in case it is no longer living up to its agreement with the American people.

Now - I'll sit down and shut up and watch the feathers fly!!!
    :cool::eek:;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  5. N6AQ

N6AQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just don't think QRZ made a large enough contribution to the current administration. If you guys were Chicago mobsters you could do what ever you wanted.

6. KC8TYK

KC8TYK Guest

outlaw rigs

Just my 2 cents worth, Ham gear can be modified to transmit out of band easy. If you want it just call up AES, HRO, R&L or anyone who sells gear and give them your card number and whalla it will be on its way to your front door. Just ask all the bear hunters here in WV. I've seen more ham gear at the flea market sold as modified CB gear than I care talk about.

We have loggers on tv based out of maine with ham gear in there trucks not using callsigns, Truck drivers around WV here doing the same thing and alot of them have better gear than I can afford. I've seen 756ProIII's mounted in Pickup trucks. Approach them and tell them its a felony they will laugh at you and tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine. And when you ask them where they got it, Called up ham store gave them credit card and within a few days they have it.

Doesn't matter, if you got a dollar and want something someone will sell it
    to you. The saleman at the store who works on commision don't care about who bought the rig just how much thats going to add to his paycheck.
    Be a profitable employee or you don't have a job seems to me thats the way the world is going. Just my veiw. Tim/Kc8tyk

7. N0UN

N0UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Equipment

The "rat" was 'prolly the guy who asked for my "20" on 14.226 last night.

JMO

NĂ˜UN

8. KE5KCN

KE5KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

bigradios.com

if the fcc wants to catch people illegally operating high power on 11 meters, they need to go to http://bigradios.com. i would think anyone in a suburban with 8 alternators and 75kw in the back and an antenna to handle it would be easy to spot

9. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Government bureaucrats don't care above solving a problem, only convincing people that they are going to solve the problem, with illogical BS.

Busting enough people and attaching huge fines would solve the problem, but instead, they pick a few junk radios, and ban them. If every one of the banned radios disappeared today, they would be replaced by a different radio not banned, and then modified.

The fact is, HRO sold a lot of the Ranger radios years ago as 10 meter mobile rigs. Now a Ham is a bad guy to sell it because it could be used out of the ham bands. Well, most every radio I have seen, can be used outside the ham bands.

This has been beat to death, but it does point to why the government should stay out of our healthcare. Logic and government bureaucrats are like oil and water. They don't mix. :)

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Have they?

Seems to me that whiskey was "bootlegged" during Prohibition. Perhaps the same is occurring in the case of so-called 'export' radio equipment. After the list of banned equipment was released a few years back, it would be interesting to see just how much of it is being stopped at ports of entry by Customs.

One could always arrange piecemeal drop-shipment from a manufacturer in a foreign country to the buyer, but when the IRS and Customs eventually nail all parties involved for tariff evasion...

None of your Yaesus fit the so-called "dual use" criteria:

1) Channelized operation;
    2) Easy to convert to 11M.

For that reason, they may be marketed as they've not been purposefully designed to operate as a CB rig.

By this line of logic, it is the government's fault that your car will do 120MPH in a school zone...and they're to blame when you are arrested for it...?

No, it is because a corporation's culpability in the commission of a crime is viewed as greater than that of Joe Consumer, as the potential damage inflicted to society as a whole by a corporation is much larger. This is why the onus of enforcement is directed against the drug trafficker, for example, not the user.

...who understand the rules and regulations of the service they operate within, and don't break same...

This statement smacks of sedition and has little (if anything) to do with the topic at hand.

11. AC0GO

AC0GO Ham Member QRZ Page

You know what makes me laugh? The Extra Class book I studied from a couple years ago shows an RCI-2950 radio mounted in a car!

12. W5JLH

W5JLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Tired Of Communism In The U.S.

I am getting tired of all the things that are now illegal and all the minor things that are now a felony. Don't you people realized that you are giving away your country. This is not the origianl U S A. Get off your ass and object to all such limitations. Use you head and your heart and do what is right. You know whats right and wrong. Telling someone else how to live his life is wrong. I hate a nosey SOB worse than a thief and a liar. There ain't a person on this web that hasn't done something illegal. Nobody is better than anyone else. While you are all squabbling over petty bull####, the west Kremlin is setting shop. Wake your asses up and do something good for someone else today and strike down any law that invades your privacy and your persuit of life, liberty and persuit of happiness. This ain't the model of my country that I want to see. I don't want to think that me and my kids served for nothing. Get off you Butts and mind your own business.

13. AC0HD

AC0HD Ham Member QRZ Page

AMEN, brother!!

How much is intentional and how much ignorance by the so-called leaders is questionable but when you put young inexperienced self-centered immature childish adults in a position of leadership, this is mostly what happens...

As an example, there are many who dislike Wal-Mart for various reasons but ya know, when ole Sam was alive and running it, it was an entirely different company and very few had any complaints. The vast majority if not all problems with the company started when the spoiled self-centered children and family members took over and changed the focus of the business from values and customer focused to strictly profit focused with no limits (anything goes as long as as it produces profit) ...much the same is happening to the US.

73-
    The Hillbilly

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  14. W5BLX

W5BLX Ham Member QRZ Page

interesting

First off I don't see why any ham would want a freeband radio. I do however know that you can clip a diode on an Icom 718 and MARS/CAP mod it o TX out of band anywhere from 1.8-30MHz. What is the difference? HRO AES Gigaparts Universal Radio etc never actually check to see if a person is licensed and will gladly sell one of these radios to any Tom Dick and Harry with $600 to spend.

What is the difference in a 718 that is modded and a RCI 2950 that can do the same thing (on the freeband CB frequencies)?

Fight em Fred

de W6CSA

15. W5QI

W5QI Guest

What if you want one of those radio's just for the parts ?? What about the guys on the ham bands that were hard core CB'ers and now act the same way on the Ham bands, sounds like Channel 6 during peak season at times..

What are the ham bands coming to ??