ad: MLSons-1

Should QRZ allow discussion of Politics and Religon?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 28, 2008.

?

Should QRZ allow discussion of politics and religon?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2008.
  1. NO, politics and religon don't belong on QRZ.

489 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. Yes, we should keep the forum open and active.

145 vote(s)
    22.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DME

W7DME Ham Member QRZ Page

Good question Fred! The answer on my part is just so those who need to expand on the political topic have a place to go so it reduces the amount of this type of rhetoric on other forums I do look at.

Mike - K7OV

2. KB9NYP

KB9NYP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I already answered that when I said we need to leave Religion and Politics to the preachers and the spin doctors and keep QRZ friendly. The last thing you want on this site, Fred, is a lot of bickering on any thread in any forum.

3. KC0ZIX

KC0ZIX Ham Member QRZ Page

There Must be External Pressure on QRZ. As they said...

I find it a great place to view other's opinions. It has even given me hope as of late. Political discussion is a charged topic, especially when we are being effed in the rear every time we turn around.
    It appears to me the majority vote will win here, when they really should not. Who the heck has the right to tell me what I can and can not say? Since when has that been allowed to happen in our country?
    The forum is separate already. Those who don't like it just stay out!
    Why even bring this up? Where is the pressure coming from? Let me guess, Big Brother himself? Fight while you still have a chance Mr. Forum Owner, don't bail out now. WE NEED YOU, WHETHER THE 75% MAJORITY KNOW IT YET OR NOT!
    I wonder if the reason this comes up is the same as why the Yahoo discussion forum was eliminated. Not because of a few "bad apples" but as a way to keep a critical mass from forming.
    Those in favor of eliminating free speech are kool-aid drinkers. I don't like that stuff, not in any flavor!

4. KB3CVO

KB3CVO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever hear of people being charged with hate speech crimes? How many words are banned just because they sound like another word that is considered bad or hurtful?

5. KC0ZIX

KC0ZIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Destruction of Language = Destruction of Thought. Then...

...we lose. Everything.

6. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Political Correctness

When will the PC police start "Thought Crimes"? :confused:

They have already enacted food crimes in California so it is just a matter of time before they branch out to tell the rest of the country what we can eat. :eek:

Is it "A Brave New World" yet? 1984 has come and gone. :eek:

Ooops! Sorry Fred...

7. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

Politics

Does not belong here!!

AC7DX

8. N8XO

N8XO Ham Member QRZ Page

Political / religious Discussion

Only political topics DIRECTLY relating to Amateur Radio (Spectrum support, resolutions, unlawful Police seizures of mobile equipment, etc.) should be supported. As for religion, leave that to the radio gods.

'73,

Steve, N8XO

9. KB3CVO

KB3CVO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They already have thought crimes. Right now they are referred to as hate crimes. They are judging what is on your mind when you commit a crime and if it is not correct then they slap an extra sentence on you.

I really think this discussion needs to move off this thread as it does not belong here.

10. SM51252

SM51252 QRZ Member

Our hobby is in essence international....

Although I am in favour of freedom of speech (unless what is said is a mere insult or provocation) I think this forum should avoid politics and religion.
    I have seen examples of nationalist feelings expressed on the amateur bands and in other communication between hams and it can be rather harmful.
    Delicate political questions have caused aggressove behaviour, poisonous attacks and a nationalist political bias in ham relations. I really don't like to give examples, but if I say "Northern Cyprus" and "Kosovo" I am sure those who have been active on the bands know what I mean.

What I mean is: When a political purpose determines the activities of radio amateurs, I think they are on the wrong track. The problem is that when I mention these examples I can be accused of having a political point of view. I really don't want to, but I had to show what I mean.

Ham radio is for technical experiments, communication and personal relations. But there are cases when radio amateurs play an important role in society:
    In natural disasters and relief actions radio amateurs can be extremely useful when normal communication is out of reach. Humanitarian aid, but usually after joint decisions, is part of amateur radio in emergency.
    On the other hand: radio amateurs as instruments for political or religious interests as such - NO! It will always be against the international character of our hobby.
    Amateur radio for international friendship - the motto we should always remember.
    Ullmar, SM5-1252 (SWL)

11. N9MOQ

N9MOQ Guest

And no one gets rid of an entire network just because two or three people said something offensive on one of the programs on that channel.

What if the FOOD NETWORK had a program on it about all sorts of disgusting and offensive things that could be done with food? Do we forbid everyone from every having any programs about food ever again, do we get rid of the FOOD NETWORK or do we get rid of the PERSON who doesn't know how to talk nice about food?

Look at the individuals responsible. Go after THEM.

Why tell good people what they are allowed to talk about?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  12. DUPE-AG5P

DUPE-AG5P QRZ Member QRZ Page

No to Politics, religion...

Politics, religion…religion, politics…religitics, poligion….the problem isn’t what is being discussed or what it’s being called. The problem is the fanatical, zealots that have no respect for someone’s opinion other than their own. I have seen comments in areas and other discussion groups that rest close to that border you describe here.
    I feel that there are many, many other venues out there for the discussion or dissertations concerning ones beliefs in religion and or politics. That said pulling the plug and letting this swirl down the proverbial drain is probably the better choice.

13. KC9NRN

KC9NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Political section? What political section? :eek:

I purposely avoid that section so in my view its not there anyway.

14. KC9JWA

KC9JWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true, otherwise ..... if i was fred i owuld lock a thread when it goes on to many pages and also to many arguements that way this wont happen again, religion is meant to be in church usally i wouldnt bring it on ham its also a rule no relgion, cursing, racism, jamming, ect. Mostly i remember. :)

15. W1DMM

W1DMM Ham Member QRZ Page

My initial response was an emphatic YES - Get rid of it.
    On second thought, I voted to maintain the Political Junkie Forum. My reason is that I can opt not to read them instead of wading through the tripe some post on all the main stream forums. Let those that enjoy stay out of my hair (I have little enough left).
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.