World renowned DXper Jim Smith VK9NS - silent key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NN3W, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. LY8O

LY8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Very very sad news... My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed by many of us....

2. N3AIU

N3AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VK9NS SK

It is with deep regret that we record the passing of this amateur ...

73, Nick N3AIU/DL1NE

3. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

Goodbye Jim

Jim was a class act that will never be able to be followed.
    Jim was the voice of the Pacific...whenever you heard him on, you knew who it was before he ID'd. Jim was always willing to chat and share info on his life on Norfolk and was an avid and well liked and excellent DXer. To say he will be missed is an understatement.

Will miss you Jim, miss hearing your voice on 20 meters.

God speed and your family is in our thoughts and prayers!

4. N3MVF

N3MVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in peace

Jim always tried to get as many stations in his log as possible. As rare DX as Norfolk is for most people, Jim would do his best to pull out the weak signals to log it. Worked him quit a few times and always the gentleman. Not just a great DXer is lost but a great person.

Greg
    N3MVF

5. W4TKI

W4TKI Ham Member QRZ Page

VK9NS Jim Smith

I am very saddened at his passing. He was a help to me in my dxing and I have heard him on the air many times. My sincere condolences to Jim's Family. w4tki Kennon Smith

6. WS4C

WS4C Ham Member QRZ Page

VK9NS

When I worked Jim on back in May, 2008, he was saying that his family wanted him to return to the UK, just for a visit, I think. Does anyone know whether he ever made that trip? I hope he did, and that he had a great reunion with many who loved him.

Also, does anyone know what will come of the autobiography he was selling? Will it still be available?

Randy WS4C
    Greenville, SC

7. CT1IUA

CT1IUA Ham Member QRZ Page

Goodbye dear Jim

We lost a great operator and friend.
    I had several qso's on ssb, cw and rtty, and will never forget when i worked this new one for the first time and had a long nice talk with Jim. He surely will be missed.
    May he rest in peace

My condolences to his family

Mike, CT1IUA

8. KI7M

KI7M Ham Member QRZ Page

VK9NS will be missed very much

Over the years I worked Jim Smith as VK9NS, P29JS, and several other spots. He always gave of himself to others on the bands, ran some great DX nets and was just a real pleasure to hear. I don't know how many new ones I worked with his help but it's got to be a dozen or more. His signal was always clear and he never had a bad word for anyone. I wish I could say as much for myself. I will miss his fine voice and the pleasure talking to him gave. We could all use more like Jim, he is an example to all. God Bless and I hope his family knows how much we thought of Jim.
    Terry, KI7M

9. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

JIM VK9NS

SAD NEWS ABOUT JIM VK9NS MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY THANKS FOR ALL THE QSOS OVER THE YEARS AND THE QSLS GOD BLESS

WENDELL K1LWI
    HULL,MA

10. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha 'oe

Aloha 'oe .........

KH6/G3SEA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.