ad: Schulman-1

World renowned DXper Jim Smith VK9NS - silent key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NN3W, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Received this directly from Jim's email account this morning. I have been corresponding with Jim off and on for some time. He was an amazing DXer, pioneer, and one who selflessly gave us our first new ones on countless DXpeditions - VK0, T31, T33, A52, several VK9s, and others.

73, Jim, and thank you.

----------------------------

Please pass on to interested parties I am sorry if I have not included everyone:

It is with deep sadness that I inform you that Jim (VK9NS) passed peacefully away on Norfolk Island at 15:40 local time on 10 February 2009 after a short illness.

Jim is survived by his wife Kirsti (VK9NL) and his four children: Bruce (G3HSR), Stuart, Sheena and Fraser (all living in the UK).

Jim's contribution to Amateur Radio, DX-ing and IOTA is inestimable. He will be sadly missed.

Further information and condolences can be sent to Kirsti at jimkirsti@ni.net.nf

Bruce (G3HSR)

2. W6SA

W6SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A great loss! He will be greatly missed. Condolences to his family.

3. N9YB

N9YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed, my condolences to his family and loved ones.

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

73 Old Friend...

Yes... a great loss for the HF ham radio family.

I, like so many others over the years, had many conversations with Jim. He will be missed. :(

Condolences are extended to his family.

73 old friend.

5. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VK9NS

God's Speed my friend, and thanks for the many conversations. My condolences to the family. 73 De N6AJR

6. VK4SP

VK4SP Ham Member QRZ Page

How sad 73's Jim

7. AL1G

AL1G Ham Member QRZ Page

My condolences

My condolences to his family.

8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

The Maestro Has Left the Building

Checking into the Heard Island DX Net at the peak of the last cycle, I always felt like a musician in a vast planet-wide symphony. Jim would conduct the net like a master, organizing each section (continent), giving everyone a turn with a solo piece (2 calls), and kept it all running for hours. His patience and skill were matched only by his devotion to this wonderful hobby and all the pleasure it brought us.

My heartfelt condolences to his family. He leaves a legacy that is unmatched.

9. W6UQZ

W6UQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FNL 73 es Gud DX, Jim!

What a terrific loss for the worldwide ham radio community. Jim had great ears, and always listened for the weak DX mobiles calling him. It was always a pleasure working him, and he was a lighthouse on the bands. A true icon and stalwart of our hobby who will be greatly missed.

73, Jim....de W6UQZ

10. K2UV

K2UV Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim is on the ultimate dxpedition!

Farewell, Dear Jim, radio friend to us all. May the bands always be open, and all signals be 59/599 at your final QTH in that ethereal place to which we all must depart. See you again when my key also goes silent. 73,Warren,K2UV

11. LY8O

LY8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Very very sad news... My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed by many of us....

12. N3AIU

N3AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VK9NS SK

It is with deep regret that we record the passing of this amateur ...

73, Nick N3AIU/DL1NE

13. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

Goodbye Jim

Jim was a class act that will never be able to be followed.
    Jim was the voice of the Pacific...whenever you heard him on, you knew who it was before he ID'd. Jim was always willing to chat and share info on his life on Norfolk and was an avid and well liked and excellent DXer. To say he will be missed is an understatement.

Will miss you Jim, miss hearing your voice on 20 meters.

God speed and your family is in our thoughts and prayers!

14. N3MVF

N3MVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest in peace

Jim always tried to get as many stations in his log as possible. As rare DX as Norfolk is for most people, Jim would do his best to pull out the weak signals to log it. Worked him quit a few times and always the gentleman. Not just a great DXer is lost but a great person.

Greg
    N3MVF

15. W4TKI

W4TKI Ham Member QRZ Page

VK9NS Jim Smith

I am very saddened at his passing. He was a help to me in my dxing and I have heard him on the air many times. My sincere condolences to Jim's Family. w4tki Kennon Smith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.