ad: CQMM-1

Winlink Email Part 1 - RF to INET, INET to RF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! OK, that explains a lot. I guess I need to get out more often. Thanks for the heads up!

2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks, Julian. I was looking at your fabulous YouTube channel. Can you point me to the video that talks about setting up with RPi Zero and mobile phone?

3. N5QXP

N5QXP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok. Just on the merits of your video alone, I have ventured into Winlink and Vara. I'm not much of a digital guy, but FT8 and JS8 have helped nudge me into the digital realm. Thanks for your videos and I am learning quite a lot at 64 yrs of age. Good luck on your treks and 73. Stay well.

4. VA7ZWR

VA7ZWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for a great video, very informative, cheers and 73 Walt VE7CWS

5. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, this is another wonderful video and it really helps me. I'm interested in Pi based digital radio and especially Winlink for remote communications (no cell coverage - which we have lots of in Canada) and for ARES. You've hit the nail on the head once again. Keep up the good work. Merry Christmas and here's hoping for a happier New Year.

6. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian, I am one of your many Youtube subscribers. Nice video again... keep going, you are inspiring many hams around the world.

Merry X'Mas and stay safe.

Jeff VA2SS

7. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite accurate, it is no longer being supported or updated.
    System operators are slowly removing it, at the request of the WDT, just update your HF channel list to keep abreast.
    A date will be announced when it will be removed from Winlink products.

If listed it is still functional for that Gateway.

K2NCC, KK9W and K0UO like this.
  8. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

https://winlink.org/content/winmor_deprecated

9. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian- thank you for these video's- I know they are a lot of work and appreciate your hardiness out there... :)
    It would be awesome if we could use our android phones to connect directly to the Icom radios- has anyone figured that out yet?

10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Earl, I saw a video of connecting to the IC-705 wirelessly using Linux. Not sure if that can be done via a Android phone, but certainly via an Android tablet...discussion on the groups.io IC-705 discussion board.

ic-705@groups.io | IC-705 no wires

11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and content as always. I always find them enjoyable and informative.

12. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it when something or someone changes my mind with information I was either too dumb or too recalcitrant to absorb. That's the case with WinLink. I used to be a radio-snob not realizing how important the world wide web is to we amateurs. I scoffed at IRLP and EchoLink ... eventually, using and enjoying both. But it was WinLink in a Simulated Emergency Test that did the trick for me. With ECOM stuff, I've learned that "any port in a storm" is a good philosophy. Thanks for a great video, yet again, Julian!

K2NCC, KK9W and WD4ELG like this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just FYI
    U.S. Ham need to know that the FEMA, and all other government ECOM Agencies and Ecom partnering groups have endorsed UrgentLink® not the old Winlink system

And have moved over to it in the pass few years.

The ECOM stations should not spending their time and $$$ messing around with this antiquated old HF system MARs stations have move over . https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/mars-pulls-plug-on-winlink.642664/

Winlink is even consider a National security risk check this out https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/NewsID/17667

UrgentLink® is vastly superior to Winlink/ watch the video and if you know the organizations, Rockwell Collins AirInc.

Rockwell Collins ' Urgent Link
    https://www.rockwellcollins.com/urgentlink

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    K3LU likes this.
  14. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI - US Hams ALSO need to know ...

EMCOM NGO's such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army SATERN in conjunction with the National Hurricane Center are still very active using WINLINK. It's features fit far better into their private sector primary mission of moving health & welfare, logistics, and WX alert traffic to and from the general public preceding or in the aftermath of disasters or other events.

Government tax funded org's may get some new tools of dubious value (see below) to play with, but that doesn't negate or even supercede those that radio amateurs may independently develop and choose to use, perhaps even to better effect.

Recent DoD MARS COMEX activity included heavy interactivity with amateurs where some traffic was channeled via WINLINK including through gateways with Radio Relay International and ARES/NTS.

A blatant false claim rather easily debunked (which ought to be quite embarrassing for the academic making it) by the diligent efforts of John KX40, Gordon KX4Z and Peter DL6MAA .

PMON - An Independent Pactor/Winlink Monitor For The Raspberry Pi

Unproven technology, and by the hype, totally laughable in their marketing claims. Local government agencies are already frustrated and requesting that hams help figure out how to operate it properly. :p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020