ad: vanity

MARS pulls plug on WinLink?!?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

This from the rumor mill...
    • MARS pulls the plug on WinLink.
    • Effective 15 January 2019, WinLink to cease operations on MARS frequencies.
    • WinLink operations must move to SHARES. SHARES only utilizes Pactor 3&4, no sound card modes allowed.
    • MARS digital operations will use M110A as primary and MT63/2KL as secondary modes.
    Can anyone confirm or deny any or all these details from a primary source?

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in Army MARS recently, and we never used WinLink. I don't know about Air Force. OPSEC would prevent current members from commenting on anything that has not been officially announced by MARS.

NL7W, KA4DPO and WU8Y like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the source of this information?

If it's from a "primary source" then it's not "from the rumor mill". Which is it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

As a SHARES member I use MT63

N2SUB likes this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all have switched from military WinLink to what SHARES uses and a lot of MT63 activity.

SUB, I see you have an Aztec. That's one of the most under recognized autos. It was ahead of it's time as an SUV and I believe there was an all-wheel drive model? I always wanted one.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

My information came from another public list. I am asking this group if they can confirm details from a more reliable source. Based on N2SUB's message, this may not be practical although loose lips likely abound. I'm merely curious how the WL community sees this alleged news in context.

7. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not alleged, as I've seen it confirmed by someone involved in MARS, as you probably have as well by now.

K0IDT and KX4O like this.
  8. N1EZZ

N1EZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also use MT63 and Olivia on SHARES

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine got a brand new one at an amazingly low price, Pontiac wanted to unload them as fast as possible. Anyway, Max was not impressed by the technology, even though I agree it had some cool features. No, the biggest draw for him was, it was cheap. It was also broken,,,,,,a lot. I was in the Aztec with him in Las Vegas when the PS went out, it blew the seals out of the pump, fluid everywhere and smoke pouring out of the hood. Anyway, to me it looked like a dust buster with wheels.

I also was not aware of MARS ever using Winlink, I simply must get a MARS mod done on my radios so I can hear all of that stuff.:D:D

10. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its not like MARS will ever do anything.