ad: elecraft

Why are QRZ moderators allowed to insult people?

Discussion in 'Policies, Guidelines and Terms of Use' started by W8JI, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't feel too bad. Not that long ago I received infraction points for posting a IB4TL in a thread that if i recall was in the wrong section to begin with (for sale)

2. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to see the moderator behavior example, just read this thread:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?315297-On-Filament-voltages-the-3-500ZG-and-a-wee-bit-of-a-snit!

The title selected by the moderator is immature and inflammatory, and the very first post is just a non-technical personal op-ed of what the moderator thinks is behind someone's motives.

Throughout the thread the moderator keeps getting personal, while almost everyone else (except 2 or 3 posts) keeps it technical. How can QRZ expect TECHNICAL forums to be technical, when moderators set examples like that?

73 Tom

3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tom, how much longer are you going to keep this up?

There was little "technical" in a post that was started clearly as an "opinion" piece. You seem to think my purpose was to debate the technical merits of the QST article vis-a-vis your response. That was not remotely my intention, which I have explained to you multiple times - the thread was started as an opinion. The thread has been closed, but shall we move it to the op/ed section to make you happy? Try as you might, you simply cannot change an opinion piece to something it is not.

You are correct on one point, the "very first post is just a non-technical personal op-ed of what the moderator thinks is behind someone's motives." I couldn't agree with you more! That's exactly correct!

Moderators here are free to post opinions all they wish. Being a moderator does not preclude that. Once again, I am sorry you didn't like my opinion, but that is life. You simply can't expect everyone to agree with you all the time. We've had this discussion ad-nauseum. Why do you keep bringing this up?

Please feel free to start a "technical" thread about every point in the QST article if you wish. I reserve to right to start any opinion piece within the rules here I wish, even when those opinions don't agree with yours.

Enough is enough, Tom. You've made it clear you disagree with me, which is fine. At some point, you need to stop beating the dead horse.

............Bob

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

I'm not trying to do anything, but learn what the rules are for everyone. I don't know why there are not clear answers. I'm trying to learn how QRZ wants people to behave, and what the rules really are. I'm asking that question, and not getting an answer. It is a simple question.

I'm trying to get an answer to a simple question, and I assume this is the correct forum for the question.

OK, you made an opinion piece in a technical forum where you accused others of having bad motives. That has already been established.

I'm trying to ask a simple question, so I know the rules.

OK. So you are telling me opinion pieces are OK in technical forums for everyone, and personal accusations of motives are OK. Is that correct?

So the rules allow opinion pieces in technical forums? Is that correct?

This isn't really about you Bob. It is about moderators and if moderators are allowed, or should be allowed, to make personal opinions about people, people's motives, or what they personally think about other people in technical forums.

It is a very simple question. Let me rephrase it.

Is it OK to bash people personally in technical forums, or should the technical forums be kept technical? Or do moderators have some special consideration that places them above posting restrictions of others?

73 Tom

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Moderating isn't easy

Its awfully easy to criticize a moderator, especially when an ego has been bruised. For some, it seems the most logical conclusion because, after all, "everything seemed normal to me...".

Of all the demographic groups in existence, adult men are perhaps the most difficult to moderate and it seems to get more difficult the older they get. Everyone should remember that our moderators are chosen from our own ranks and like everyone else, they sometimes struggle with finding the right words to say. The problem of course is that pride often gets in the way and sometimes the moderated party won't let go and call it a day. This can also be true for the moderator and the ensuing back and forth argument should come as little surprise because, after all, both parties are right in their own minds.

Of all the moderators on this site, I'm the luckiest because, holding the top rank, I can make final judgment on any topic. I also avail myself of the privilege of not having to read these forums, thereby saving myself a tremendous amount of time, and in cases like these, grief. After all, while all of this discussion is taking place, I'm busy writing and debugging a new, 2nd generation logbook application on the server. The concentration is intense and the detail is mind boggling. I'm lucky to get through my daily email while keeping the project on track.

I sincerely appreciate those volunteers such as Bob who step up to do the dirty work. Like "Dirty Jobs", you just can't participate without getting some of the grime and smell on you, no matter how skillful you are.

As far as insults go, it is fair game to insult someone's idea. An essential skill is the ability to separate the argument from the author, whether you are the writer or the respondent. Not all ideas are good and no one should have expectation of a 100% success rate.

Thanks Bob, and all the other moderators, for performing a service that few others will dare to undertake.

I do believe that this issue has run its natural course and should thereby be relegated to the historical archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.