ad: ProAudio-1

Why are QRZ moderators allowed to insult people?

Discussion in 'Policies, Guidelines and Terms of Use' started by W8JI, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a question. Why are QRZ moderators, or super moderators, allowed to insult people and make unfounded accusations toward them, including direct personal insults?

Shouldn't QRZ super moderators set a good example for others? Don't they, in effect, represent QRZ and set the tone for others to follow?

Are there any standards for moderators or super moderators, or rules that they follow? Or is QRZ just a bar room for them?

Thanks.

Tom

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually if a mod partisipates in a thread it's someone else that closes it if it should "spin out of control"

Why this happened the way it did is questionable.

And this is from someone who has before this moment NEVER publicly questioned the actions of a mod here.

Bob Please Re Open The Thread.

3. WB0LSR

WB0LSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe that there are standards from what I've seen in my time here. Honestly I've never had any real issues with the mods myself, but I have seen thread closures and post deletions that were on-topic and solely the result of the fact that the mod had a personal disagreement with what was being posted rather than a rule or conduct violation. I don't think that QRZ is a democracy though, I would imagine that as long as the Administrator is OK with what is happening then that's how things will be.

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

A QRZ super moderator started the thread in a technical forum with a personal tone to the thread title.

He then proceeded to keep taking it personal, while others kept steering it back to technical.

Three people e-mailed me and told me a QRZ moderator was tearing me up on a thread, so I looked at the links they sent. Sure enough, it was true.

I pointed out, to the QRZ moderator, that he was getting personal in what should be a technical forum, and he just kept right up.

He got some more digs in, I pointed them out to him, and I tried to steer it back to technical.

He launched into another long personal attack, saying I always had to get the last word in, and then he closed the thread he started.

Three people took the time to email me and send me a link to that thread. Why does QRZ allow a representative to set an example like that, insult or impugn someone personally, and then do a long final insult and close the thread?

Shouldn't QRZ moderators set examples of how they want others to behave in technical forums? Don't they, in a way, represent QRZ? Even if I am the worse individual in the world, should a QRZ moderator be allowed to point that out in a technical forum? Wouldn't it be more appropriate for him to private mail me to insult me?

Thanks,

Tom

5. AF6LJ

Up until today I have publicly stood by the mods this is after all Fred's football as it were.
    I have seen many disagreements handled here and this is the first time in three years I have seen something like this happen. As someone who has moderated special interest groups in the past I would have never considered doing this even in threads I started myself and ended being booed or laughed out of my own thread, and it has happened.

At this point I have lodged my protest and said my peace.
    I have a great deal of respect for the Zed and I show that by putting my money where my mouth is.

With that I'm going to move on and hope the thread gets re opened.
    I had some things I wanted to say and starting a new thread is silly.

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I honestly didn't think there was much more to say as it seemed that thread was going downhill. Since folks have said they *DID* have more to say, then have at it. It's OPEN!!

............Bob

7. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you promise to allow the thread to stay on topic Bob?

Will you remove your personal posts?

8. AF6LJ

Thank You Bob.
    :)

9. W4PG

Tom, if you have a problem with anything I have posted there, then please use the "report post" button. That report will go to ALL moderators and someone other than me can decide. I cannot and will not remove any posts in a thread I have been participating in.

The "topic" was my opinion that Ameritron used poor judgment in allowing a paid consultant with a vested financial interest to respond to the QST article. It brings the appearance of bias and personal vendettas, especially given your history with the author noted in the "single" footnote, the one where the wrong 4.8 volts came from. That opinion has NOTHING to do with you or what you said in your article, which by every account I've read is accurate. The topic of the thread remains an opinion, not a personal attack. I can do *NOTHING* about your feelings otherwise.

It later moved into discussions of peer review, since quite naturally the whole QST issue would likely not have occurred but for an apparently failure in peer review. I have opinions about whether those who perform peer reviews should be paid. That you disagree with my opinions is noted, but those are again, NOT a personal attack.

But by ALL means, USE that report post button! It's there for a purpose. I *promise* that I will not get involved in moderating anything said in that thread.

.............Bob

10. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Do moderators all stick together, or are they objective?

11. W4PG

Would you believe me if I told you? :)

12. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading THIS thread, now I want to read the RE-OPENED thread. Which one is it ?

73, NN5AA

13. W4PG

Please use the search function.

.............Bob (a QRZ moderator)

/tongue in cheek

14. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know the answer to the question posed in the thread subject, but any "Super Moderator" who says "LOL!!!"
    should turn in his badge and go stand in the corner. Unless that Super Moderator is a teenage girl.

15. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.