ad: Alphaant-1

What to look for in a transceiver in 2018

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3BL, Mar 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3BL

VK3BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Jarrad VK3BL covers the essential features you should look for in a new radio in 2018, with advice specifically targeted to those new to the hobby.

We take you through some of the different styles of radio as well as their intended use, and cover the downfalls if you don't use them for their designed target audience.

We hope you enjoy the video - please comment with your thoughts :)

Jarrad VK3BL

N2NH likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A good warranty is most important.

VK3BL and VE7YE like this.
  3. VK3BL

100% agree about a good warranty being one of my top picks.

4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Warranty is clearly important, but I'll take reliability first.

I've had a bunch of Yaesu's for awhile, beat up a few of them pretty bad (rain, snow, lightning, MARS mods, falling out of the car), but have had zero trouble with any of them.

Good luck!
    Jim, WQ2H

VK3BL likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the warranty is one year, that doesn't do anything for me. Most stuff fails after 3 years or more.

VK3BL likes this.
  6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jarrad VK3BL has several good videos on specific rigs. But this kind of video needs to be made from a shop like HRO, I went in the Dallas store and wow they has about any new rig hooked up to a few different antennas, that way you could compare say a Kenwood TS-590 to a Icom IC-7300. And for curiosity, you could compare a $7000+ radio to the kenwood or Icom that you could afford. and for a guy like me there is no difference. I am not going to dig a guy out of the noise floor for that rare contact. That is what your 7K+ radios are for. I don't come close to using what my rig will do.

N2NH likes this.
  7. VK3BL

For sure, nothing beats playing with rigs in real life. Its good to have an idea of what your requirements are before you step into the show room. Kind of like buying a car - if you think you're about to start a family that mustang might not be so good :)

N2NH likes this.
  8. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Jarrad, that's a great video. I'm an old ham who's looking to get back into the hobby and this video has sorted several things out for me! Thanks!