ad: elecraft

Veteran Ham's Final Wishes Fulfilled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Dec 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8DAW

N8DAW Ham Member QRZ Page

This was absolutely great and brought a tear to my eye. I (re)discovered my desire to become licensed while I was dealing with 9 weeks of chemo back in 2015. I was so sick from the chemo and sick of bad TV while stuck in bed, and something just reminded me of my SWL-ing when I was a kid. Then, after my SW radio arrived from Amazon, one morning at about 3AM, I heard a broadcast talking about why you should get an amateur license. The next morning, I started my path to get my tech license. I had enough inspiration to fight because of my then 7 month old son and my wife, but this hobby gave me something I had missed most of my adult life and it pushed me through those final days of chemo.

I sometimes read these types of stories and have a lot of survivor's guilt. No one knows why some people live and others die. All I know is, each day is a blessing, even when you think you are having a bad one... I've had cancer twice in my life and learned what bad days were. Ham radio is an amazing hobby, and has been a great gift for me on this second half journey of my life.

Godspeed John WA2EQJ, it was an honor to learn about you in this story, and I hope we can meet someday somewhere...

Mike Wells, N8DAW

W3KKO, KI7BPW, MI0YLT and 10 others like this.
  2. G0WYD

G0WYD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

a big thank you a fellow soldier for what he gave, our freedom is sacred more,so now than ever before in a changing world,

respect to him and his family. thank you for a wonderful story that should remain a pard of the qrz.com website,

Robert G0WYD.

MI0YLT, K4LSX and NU4R like this.
  3. WD8WV

WD8WV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very heart warming!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story!

4. WB0FTY

WB0FTY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonderful story and thank to him for his service. Thanks for posting it here.

5. K7ART

K7ART Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank-you for sharing this story!

MI0YLT and NU4R like this.
  6. W1LLS

W1LLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome story. Thank you for sharing. We need more of this type of news.

7. KE0LES

KE0LES Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding story !!!!! This is what America is all about and this story just proves it.

KE0MAD, MI0YLT, K4LSX and 1 other person like this.
  8. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

As a vet also from the Army and a radio operator and instructor during the 60s this story really hits home.
    Not many operators in the Army today, mostly considered a collateral duty as I understand it.

MI0YLT, K4LSX, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story! I'm so glad others were available to help him out and that his love of the hobby never faded.

10. KB4CIA/SK2022

KB4CIA/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

To all that helped him, thanks !!!!!!!!

11. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed !

K3BOA, MI0YLT and NU4R like this.
  12. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoa that was heartfelt! Outstanding story. Brought a tear or two to my eyes. Sarge is an inspiration and American hero - we cannot thank those enough who made his special day possible.

13. K4LSX

K4LSX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! real radio ops in the military today? must be kidding! for sure, satellite, digital, etc. has taken over what we once did, but it ain't radio opping!

MI0YLT and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  14. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

what a great story! thank you for sharing.

MI0YLT likes this.
  15. PX2J1961

PX2J1961 QRZ Member

Dentro de todos os problemas enfrentados, lembrou do que sempre foi, um operador de rĂ¡dio.

W0PV likes this.