ad: MyersEng-1

The Last Radio Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG3I

KG3I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video!! Thank you all for keeping this part of radio history alive!!! 73 es God Bless!!

W4QBQ likes this.
  2. N0DET

N0DET Ham Member QRZ Page

If you go to visit the site, they are typically there on Saturdays, not Sundays as the story stated (although they sometimes operate special events). I have a brother who lives an hour away in Petaluma, so I plan my annual visits there to coincide with a Saturday so I can make the trip to KPH while I'm on the west coast. The ops always make me feel welcome, and they allow me to "sit the circuit" and operate the guest position of K6KPH. It's a fantastic experience if you're a cw op (maybe even if you aren't). If you plan your day appropriately you can tour the TX site in Bolinas and get to see both ends. Last year I made it a point to be there on "Night of Nights" and will probably return again this summer. If you can't visit in person, visit via HF - you can catch K6KPH on the air most Saturdays 7050, 14050, and other bands as condx permit - check them out here: http://www.radiomarine.org/ - I work them most Saturdays from here in CO; their 1500W signal gets out pretty well. Richard (RD) and the other ops are great historians - they spark interest in even the non-radio types!

N2AMM, WN4HOG and W4QBQ like this.
  3. N0DET

N0DET Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, most notably the "Night of Nights" event each year on July 12. They fire up every transmitter, and the K6KPH side of the house is on the air as well. It's a pretty fun event on the air, and the station is open to visitors then too (you can even operate if there's room!). Check their website for details.

N2AMM and WN4HOG like this.
  4. K7DAN

K7DAN Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also an excellent short piece about KPH on "Bartell's Backroads" via the ABC 10 affiliate nearby:

Dan...VR2HF/K7DAN

K1XS, M0DPX, VU2USA and 1 other person like this.
  5. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

When I worked for RCA global communications KPH sent ship to shore radio grams for our customers. I also have their QSL card. It was very exciting to work them. I worked for RCA from 1961 t0 1986.

73" Bob Giraud W2STF

W4ABC likes this.
  6. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story! As a consummate SWL growing up, and a monthly Radio Austria monitor reporter, I also listened to all the ship to shore msg stations...so much fun and sad to see them gone. Big kudos to the guys who keep them alive! Jerry, KB7AA

7. W4GRC

W4GRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty awesome. I was a radioman in the Navy from 1966-1970, and I have been a ham since 1963. My favorite mode is CW. Thanks for sharing and bring back memories. Long live CW.

8. W2BSN

W2BSN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just visited the museum between Christmas and New Year's. Wonderfully preserved. Saw the Transmitter and receiver stations. Ham radio overload.

9. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool information!

11. VU2USA

VU2USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely going to visit during my next visit to U S.
    73s

12. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done , that's A place I would like to visit. Any motor home parking???

13. LU4VQM

LU4VQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video :D:D

14. K9RJ

K9RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I visited KPH several years ago. It perfectly epitomizes the magic I felt upon listening to short wave stations when I was about 12. Later I learned CW as VE2DGL and it has stayed with me ever since. Richard and his team have done an amazing job keeping 'KPH on the air. Thank you!

15. W7CO

W7CO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard Dillman (W6AWO) was the guest on episode 236 of the QSO Today Amateur Radio podcast (qsotoday.com). It's worth the listen.