ad: M2Ant-1

Space Weather Warning

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7QCK, Jun 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Google: "Red Aurora" . You will see photographs from International Space Station (they have never seen an almost pure red Aurora) ... as well as from around the world (e.g. Canada, Australia, USA, UK/Ireland, Iceland).

The NOAA images of the Aurora, just after summer solstice, were very revealing.

Aurora Forecast
    http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/images/aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.png

Did anyone make radio contacts via Aurora ??
    -----
    Earlier today: M6.6 flare, has produced a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)
    Famous quote from Jurrasic Park (1993 film) by John Arnold: "Hold onto your butts".
    https://twitter.com/_spaceweather_/status/613140571851460612
    -----
    Twitter photo, Southern Iowa
    https://twitter.com/bdmphoto/status/613300347872808961

UK MET Office -- Violet aurora last night
    http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/06/23/large-solar-storm-brings-spectacular-views-of-the-aurora/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Red aurora, very cool!

I assure you that many many VHF DX QSO's were made via reflecting off the aurora last night, IF the stations were lucky enough to be located at high enough latitude, thought of pointing their directional antennas not at the other station but toward the magnetic north pole, and coped with the extreme distortion of the signals.

Good riddance to my old haunt in the northern "black hole" of MN which had attenuated HF propagation and the long frigid winters; however, although much better for DX in general, sadly my present QTH at 27 deg latitude FL does not produce AU propagation opportunities. I do miss working VHF DX with "The Hiss" a lot!

Up north, even in IL, usually AU propagated signals begin appearing on 6m whenever a geo-mag storm occurs and the K index is about 5 or higher. At a very intense level of 7-8 like last night, even 2m or higher freq is in play, with 1000 mile QSO's possible.

Last night was unusual because there was both multi-hop Sporadic E layer "clouds" concurrent with aurora! Although the primary propagation to FL was probably E layer, some of the SSB signals I heard down here from the New England area were accompanied by a bit of the distinctive AU sound (AU-E).

73 de John - WØPV

PS - hopefully more today and tonight !! (?)

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Aurora kicked in in NE around 0250 UTC. Es died just before then. Made about 20 Q's with 'AU'. No AU visible in this part of FN42.

Usual raspy AC flutter on both CW and phone AU qso's....

Really weird conditions!

Chip W1YW

4. W9GB

Photos from the UK, especially Scotland and as far south as Norfolfk,
    are just now being posted on a number of UK web sites.
    Since we are at/near Summer Solstice -- sunset is late into evening, at these northern latitudes.
    Some of the green/red colors are vivid, some showing the color violet.

Violet colored aurora at Winslow, Maine (USA)
    https://flic.kr/p/u7FnXo

image.jpg
    Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) photographed at sunset from the Ayr coastline, Scotland (UK).

5. W9GB

Yellowstone National Park, last night.

This photo, after sunset, above Mammoth Hot Springs (Wyoming, USA)
    Coordinates: 44°58′01″N 110°42′44″W ; Elevation 6,735 feet (2,053 meters).

A memorable aurora of violet and light green at horizon.

image.jpg

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep watchin' that 2m bobber! Lot's more action going on up there again today. As well as 6m is continuing to boil. Lesser DX then Saturday, no trans-Atlantic heard (yet) or seen spotted, but some Caribbean and transcontinental NA.

If anybody reading this has a modern HF xcvr with 6m, but no real 50 mhz antenna, don't hesitate to turn it on and use any antenna available! Just throw up some zip-cord! Make some QSO's!

A couple of years ago during a similar 6m opening from FL I worked my buddy K0KX in MN who was hastily using an IC-706 into his 20m monoband Yagi (no tuner) and I was QRP 5w into 5 el yagi at 20 ft AGL!

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Now the Midwest evening 6m AM net OM's up on 50.400+ mhz are complain' about the "skip" QRM! (LOL ;))

8. KG7QCK

KG7QCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like it was an eventful Father's Day! Next small CME event is forecast for 6-23-15 0000 UTC. Enjoy!

9. KG7QCK

Space Weaher.org

:cool:You can also use our Space Weather website designed for Amateur Radio and the EOC at:

http://www.sweoc.org/

10. W2HCQ

W2HCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope everybody took advantage of the incredible 50 mHz and 144 mHz openings 6/23 PM and evening! I heard stuff on 144 that I could only dream about and chewed my knuckles bloody because my transmit side is in pieces on the bench. On six I managed 55 contacts, all western & SW US in less than 1 hr. What a pileup. It felt truly like once in a lifetime conditions.

John, W2HCQ

11. KG7QCK

Next Event Update

CORRECTION: My previous post has an incorrect date: It should read 6/25/15 0000 UTC. Sorry Folks.

12. KG7QCK

Another Event and CME 6-24-16 1300 UTC

To those who will be taking part in the Field Day it now looks like this cycle will spill into this weekend.

The following was just posted by the SWPC:

:product: SWPC Space Weather Alerts ALTS.txt
    :Issued: 2015 Jun 24 1303 UTC
    # Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center
    # See http://swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/ for description and other displays
    # Send comments and suggestions to SWPC.Webmaster@noaa.gov
    #
    # SWPC Space Weather Alerts Issued in the last 24 hours
    #---------------------------------------------------------------------

Space Weather Message Code: ALTTP4
    Serial Number: 508
    Issue Time: 2015 Jun 24 1143 UTC

ALERT: Type IV Radio Emission
    Begin Time: 2015 Jun 24 1054 UTC
    Description: Type IV emissions occur in association with major eruptions on the sun and are typically associated with strong coronal mass ejections and solar radiation storms.

13. WI0T

WI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

That is awesome!

Rod WI0T

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Field Day

Include an antenna for 6 meters, and don't forget to slather exposed skin with lots of high value broad spectrum sunblock! :cool:

15. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Supposed to be another CME hitting this afternoon. Won't know until about 30 minutes ahead of time how powerful it will be.