ad: Radclub22-1

Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Takes to the Air at 7:00 pm Eastern on Oct. 31

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC1APY, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

WYFR was Harold Camping's old station. Camping was the whackaloon who declared that the world would end May 11, 2011. It's unknown how many people actually believed him, but the number was greater than zero, as there were cases of people selling all they owned and going on the road in RV's to spread the word. Soon after the world continued existing on May 12, Camping had a stroke. I believe he went SK in December 2012. Camping once had a large number of FM broadcast licenses, one in nearly every major US market, in addition to WYFR. I forget how much the licenses were worth, but it was quite a bit of moolah. After his death Family Radio was sold off.

2. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. There are too many religious SW broadcasts in the USA

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Their website does not describe the audience they will chase.

I saw this line -- No other medium provides for global access of information on a handheld device without access to an infrastructure, satellite, internet connection or membership fee.

But does that suggest they're going for a radio version of "cord cutters" who are abandoning the high cost of cable TV for Over The Air reception? Or are they after the MP3 downloaders who instead could record music off the air for free.

If this station hopes to deliver information I wonder if that means hourly newscasts from one of the networks, and/or panel discussions & talk radio trying to pass as "information."

Years ago I enjoyed hearing all the hourly network radio newscasts on a shortwave outlet of AFRTS, Armed Forces Radio & Television. They'd line them up, one after the other, each five minute block slightly different from the others, and with all the commercials deleted in favor of advisory notices to military and their families about being safe, or obtaining DoD resources.

Maybe this Global24 plans a long-form, all-news format, but that's expensive. They do have an advertising sub-page, so there will be a spot load. and paid programming blocks.

1) On-Air Advertising – 30 Second, 60 Second & Program Sponsorships
    2) Paid Inclusion on Our Shortwave Broadcast – We Have 4 Hours Per Day Available for High Quality Content
    3) Digital Advertising on our Website & Partner Websites
    4) Newsletter Sponsorships – Reach 25.000 Subscribers in Our Weekly Information Packed Newsletters - See more at: s

Here's wishing good luck for the venture. And I've bookmarked the online QSL reception report form to try to get a "first day" card.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  5. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have KTRH 740 AM out of Houston so it would make it hard to hear CFZM. CFZM is a 50kW clear-channel station so I might have a chance.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They have a pretty good web broadcast, if you can't receive it. I hate to do that, but, sometimes when propagation is bad, I have to.

Their whole Sunday afternoon/evening lineup is great. Actually, their weeknight overnight show is good too.

7. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I had not heard this but good riddance. I look forward to listening to this new concept.

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, Herb, but almost certainly no chance. BCB stations propagate primarily via ground wave for the first 200-300 miles, placing you well withing it's range and KTRH is also a clear channel station. But you can listen to CFZM via internet via this link. I am listening right now this way.
    http://www.zoomerradio.ca/listen-live/

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

All good points Paul! Don't forget to use SINPO code for that reception report!

73 de John WØPV

10. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 100 give or take a few miles west of Houston in La Grange and can hear 740 AM during the day just fine , after 7 pm local they muist reduce power or go directional as I can no longer hear them . have to use their web broadcast if I want to listen to them .

andrew
    kd5pnt

11. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good news as quite a few of us hams still swl. FYI - if you have not listen in a while, here are the last few remaining countries that still broadcast in English and beam to North America. BBC and VOA spends most of their broadcast time to Asia and Africa. (Not counting domestic broadcasting)

Canada
    Argentina
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Albania
    Romania
    Thailand
    Vietnam
    Taiwan
    Turkey
    China
    Cuba
    North Korea
    South Korea
    Iran
    Kuwait
    Egypt

12. K7SKE

K7SKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to it! Small detail but isn't 7:00pm Eastern Time actually 2300 UTC October 31st? Please feel free to correct me......!:confused:

Mike K7SKE

13. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds GREAT....so long as it's NOT fanatical "Radio Jesus" programming.

John KB2HSH
    Springbrook, NY

14. K4JK

K4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like they have a news wire service now. A good sign although I don't know anything about EU News network.

15. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.