ad: TinyPaddle-1

Presenting the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking for the same thing. I imagine this is going to be the weak link in this radio. It uses an HT battery pack and probably won't last long when mountain-topping or contesting in the field. I imagine they took that into consideration and there should be an external port for power. I'm going to wait to see how this good looking radio performs before I even consider giving up my rugged and highly modified 817-ND, which you will have to pry out of my dead hands!

2. EI3IBB

EI3IBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Atm I'm just interested in HF, I would like to see Icom release a basic no bells and whistles version of this radio.

I still don't know what they're doing installing a 7.2 v 1800-2000 Mah expensive battery when you can buy a brick of 5 Ah LiPo for about 35 USD. The 7.2V Icom battery costs about 60 USD, rip off.

3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The Current drain of the HF+6 meter FT-891 and its small size make a very nice SOTA radio at 100 watts. It does not drain on RX at 2 amps listed in the specs, it is below an amp. I forget the exact number but its on these forums. I only recall seeing something like .8amps on my RC battery meter.

4. N2OA

N2OA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would bet $1200-$1400 when it's released.

5. N2OA

N2OA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't cost that much to add DSTAR. The person that posted that was also comparing a Chinese radio with no 6m, 2m or 70cm. It may cost another $20 to add DSTAR. Especially since ICOM already has the hardware and interface designs that can just be reused.

K4AGO likes this.
  6. K7UQ/SK2022

K7UQ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been playing with the R928 Chinese copy of the MChf . If the IC-705 will have as nice of a receiver in it as this little R928, with the larger touch screen for my old eyes, it could be a winner. The addition of 2 meters and 440 and DSTAR surely will add to the price. It would be nice if they offered a HF only version of this radio at a significantly reduced pricel

KK4HPY and K8XG like this.
  7. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard on You Tube there might be a portable 50 watt offering in the works and that ideas for specs are being solicited.

KK4HPY likes this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a local repeater?

Is that one of the fossils they dug up NorthWest of here?

Local repeaters have been dead around here for decades... Sad but true.

I would be very interested if they deleted the VHF/UHF and added a tuner.

An HT is all you need for VHF/UHF if you can even find an operational repeater. Everyone already has a half dozen Baofengs to use for VHF/UHF.

I do like the Dstar aspect of the transceiver. But, you must have a hot spot. The nearest Dstar repeater is *only* 90 miles from me. A hot spot is mandatory for Dstar use.

I will consider IC-705 if and only if the price is reasonable. If the IC-705 sells for an IC-7300 price I will buy the IC-7300. Better yet, I still have an ancient IC-706. I'll just operate it at 10 watts.

Is Xiegu a less expensive alternative? No... I already have too much Chinese junk. And I really don't want to rely on MFJ service. Their service department bit me one time too many. I have never considered Xiegu a viable option; never will unless they start selling them for a crisp new $20.00 bill like the Baofengs. But with MFJ being the "Only authorized sales and service distributor." I probably would pass on them if they were free.

I do however, like Icom transceivers. You get more bang for the buck with Japanese radios.
    John

KK4HPY likes this.
  9. K4AGO

Why is it any more of a bad plan than any HT (VHF/UHF) would be?

Baofeng makes an 8 watt "microwave oven" that is just as likely to fry your egg as the IC-705 would be. 10 watts HF shouldn't be any more of a radiation exposure problem than 1500 watts 30 feet away would be. No one seems to be concerned about legal limit amplifiers in near proximity.

John

10. K4AGO

You can't.

N6SPP likes this.
  11. K4AGO

Yep... After you replace the electrolytic capacitors, you sure can. Unfortunately, if you need a microprocessor you are out of luck. "Obsolete" is what they say when the microprocessor goes south of the border.

John

12. K4AGO

Yaesu doesn't have that problem.
    John

13. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^ Correct, my FT-991, FT-818, and 991A do not have that problem; they have the 6-pin standard mini din audio jack as well as USB Codecs.

14. PY2BBQ

PY2BBQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also looking for a ham radio for my sailboat.

15. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-705 may just be the perfect grab and go rig for my use.

It would be nice if Kenwood did something similar with the TS-480 and offered a snap on QRP chassis for the head unit. THAT would be awesome! I love my TS-480SAT.