ad: Mountaingoat-1

New RM-11769 Proposed "Symbol Communication Subbands" in place of CW/Data

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1EN, May 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe this scenario wholeheartedly.
    Though, the General and Extra Class licenses are only a few dozen questions away.
    Have we all be come petty and or lazy?
    God only knows...

2. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be honest enough to admit that I don't understand the issues at hand, so I'll refrain from forming/voicing an opinion until I understand what's at stake.

John
    W9FTV

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It also appears to have the effect of banning auto-generated Morse code from the voice segments of the bands. No more repeater IDs in Morse code, if my reading is right (maybe I've misread). It seems that would be a symbol mode transmission, not allowed on voice segments.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not an issue on 6m and above, but 10m repeaters would have a problem.

(Aside from opening the bottom 100kHz of 2m and 6m to data, prohibiting non-manual CW in the phone bands of HF, the proposal calls for preserving the status quo. Data's currently allowed in the repeater portions of 2m and up.)

5. DD4DA

DD4DA Ham Member QRZ Page

If i understand that right, the exclusive part of the bands who are declared and reserved for CW only, should be open for narrow digital modes. I don't know if their are rules about the usage of amateur radio bands related to the license class in the US. We (in germany and the most states in the EU room) did'nt have such regulations. The german entry level license are just limited in available bands, not modes. The usage of the bands where the lic are permitted to use are regulated by the IARU band map recommendations. Is this different in the USA?
    In general, i don't like to hear the digital signal mix in the cw band parts here. I also state that the more and more upcomming digital modes need to get more bandwith to do their mode undisturbed by any other. A good example that's demonstrate how limited the smal and shared bandwith are , is the cqww-rtty contest situation. You need to be a magican to get a frequency pair over the hole time of the test and not avoid the band border rules of the cqww. I addition, none other digital operation mode is possible that time. If a "redesign" of the "band mode map" is required, this should be done by the IARU commission to be common to the rest of the world.
    If i missunderstand the Letter to the FCC, forget everything i wrote before.

vy 73 de Gerd, DD4DA

6. PF0RO

PF0RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this filing mean that anyone can send a proposal for change to the FCC, that they must take it seriously and do something with it?
    I would think that changing bandplans takes involvement of the ARRL in the USA and other organisations around the world.

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was some discussion about the first point earlier in the thread. I had been under the impression that if someone followed all the rules in creating and submitting a petition to the FCC, there was some obligation to at least permit public comment on it. Another poster (who likely knows more than I) thought the FCC did have some authority to refuse to consider an idea.

If the latter is true, the FCC could still circulate a proposal with the silent motive of allowing the public a chance to support its quiet belief that it's a bad idea.

Regarding the FCC-ARRL relationship: in terms of the granting and altering of legal authority for amateurs to use particular modes on particular frequencies, that's 100% FCC jurisdiction. The FCC is likely to listen to the ARRL due to the organization's size and prominence and due to the involvement of an experienced attorney in drafting the ARRL's comments...but the FCC can (and has) taken action contrary to the League's stated preferences.

The ARRL does publish bandplans that suggest particular portions of the band for particular forms of operation, but that guidance is merely advisory. US amateurs mostly only have to worry about the FCC regulations...although an ARRL bandplan can be used as evidence against an amateur in the event of a harmful interference complaint.

8. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Again, there are NO exclusive part of the HF bands that allow CW only.

9. W0FO

W0FO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand. This clown doesn't even hold a current amateur call sign. WHO IS THIS CLOWN ??????

10. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N0ECN isn't current?

11. N7KFD

N7KFD Ham Member QRZ Page

His license IS current, look closer.

12. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a no-code general, and I already have access to all of the digital sub-bands, which is why I'll likely never upgrade to Extra: Zero need to do so.

We need to revamp our license scheme in the US, to update it to relevancy.

13. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 uses exactly 31Hz of bandwidth. Half of the average WPM bandwidth. So, why not intermix?

14. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't need a computer to do RTTY.

I read about a guy years ago who taught himself to read barcodes. I wonder what else he could do?

15. PF0RO

PF0RO Ham Member QRZ Page

@ N1EN Thanks for the reply, that clarifies things a bit.