ad: MyersEng-1

New RM-11769 Proposed "Symbol Communication Subbands" in place of CW/Data

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1EN, May 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An ARRL bulletin advises that a new proposal by N0ECN has been designated RM-11769 by the FCC and is available for 30 days of review and comment.

The proposal calls for "all privilege restrictions limiting any part of the amateur radio spectrum to the use of CW/Morse Code radio telegraphy to the exclusion of other emission modes be eliminated entirely" and proposes redefining the current CW / RTTY, data / Image emission type definitions in Part 97 with "Symbol Communication", "Voice" or "Image".

The proposal also calls for bandwidth limitations on Symbol Communication and Voice/Image signals varying by band, and various adjustments required by the change in terminology but otherwise consistent with current privileges, modified by RM-11759 and the not-yet authorized 2200 and 630 meter bands.

WM9F likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

My comments to the FCC are filed in opposition to this.

N8YA, KF7PCL and K6FNI like this.
  3. W7WQ

W7WQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No we should start licensing by sending a couple of cereal boxtops and making up our own calls. I've already put in for "The Phantom of 75 Meters."

W9RAC and KZ3J like this.
  4. KC9UJG

KC9UJG Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you file a disagreement with the FCC against this bonehead! I didn't see anywhere on the document page to do that.

KF7PCL, K6FNI and KZ3J like this.
  5. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh bother ! Here we go again...yawn

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    KF7PCL, KZ3J and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. N5IM

N5IM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait a minute.... isn't he the one in charge of the bands?!

7. WV8RS

WV8RS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because some "Butt-Head" wants to have "Their Way" about things... Just LEAVE IT ALONE!!! The Bands are already crowded enough and convoluted enough with you screwing around with them!!! WV8RS...

W9JEF likes this.
  8. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

O brother, this is a real bonehead.......probably a digital nerd with no experience.

K6FNI and KD4PI like this.
  9. WV8RS

Probably... They've already tried to take away some of the bands to play computer on, now they wanna do an "end run" around what the decision was... LEAVE IT ALONE!!! SYMBOL my Foot!!!

K6FNI and W9JEF like this.
  10. WV8RS

Looks like he's trying to do away with the CW & RTTY allocation and move his computer CRAP in there... Wish he'd just take his junk and go play "Packet" on 2 Meters...

NL7W, K6FNI and KZ3J like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: new RM---

What the }##% is this }%*+?

Did I get off the elevator on the wrong floor, or have I entered a new universe of euphememomics?

W9JEF and KZ3J like this.
  12. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG!!! LEAVE THE BANDS THE WAY THEY ARE!!! OMG WHY DOES SOME MORON HAVE TO GO A CHANGE THE BANDS? IF HE DOESN'T LIKE THE WAY THEY ARE NOW?,THEN GO BACK TO 11 METERS! PUT UP AND SHUT UP! WE JUST CLEANED UP 3.910KHZ, DON'T STIR THINGS UP AGAIN! LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE! IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

K6FNI, KZ3J and KF4ZKU like this.
  13. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to send in text comments, try http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display (put RM-11769 in the first box).

If you want to write and upload a letter or legal pleading, go to http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=RM-11769 and click the "submit a filing" link on the resultant page

Remember: be polite, be coherent, use a spell-check, and argue for or against the proposal on its merits rather than for/against an alleged ARRL/Winlink conspiracy. I'm sure the FCC would like to see responses from the amateur community be less nutty for a change.

(FWIW, I sent in comments in opposition. I'm not shy about thinking there's a need for updates due to the evolution in digital modes....but this proposal seems like an awful lot of bureaucracy and effort for tweaks that would seem to just preserve the status quo.)

N0NCO, W9JEF, WD8AQS and 2 others like this.
  14. KZ3J

KZ3J Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought April 1st had come and gone. What a chucklehead.
    o_O

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  15. KB9VLH

KB9VLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Symbol communications equals -- data communications. There is all ready room set aside in the band plans for this. It has worked
    fine for the how many years now.
    My comments to the FCC is to deny this request.

NL7W, K6FNI, W9JEF and 1 other person like this.