ad: Mountaingoat-1

New Icom IC-V86 7W VHF HT to arrive spring 2019!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems questionable as to wether or not 7 watts is particularly useful with a rubber duck antenna anyway. I suppose the 7 watts would be more useful when connected to an outdoor antenna at a more useful height eg in "fixed" mode.

2. KB4MC

I used my 02AT until it's "wheels" fell off. The LCD finally failed last year.

WA4VMF likes this.
  3. KB4MC

My gripe with most of these hand-held radios is the tiny size /battery. I wish ALL handhelds had a much more robust battery and were a bit larger so that I felt more like I had my money's worth rather than feeling like a toy with scant battery life.

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Icom has fixed the effect that a 7 watt handheld can get HOT.

K0WJ likes this.
  5. VE7CRA

VE7CRA Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a market segment of folk who live in rural areas where a dual band radio is extra complexity & cost because there are no UHF repeaters or users. The case is apparently an "acoustic lens" to aid in apparent loudness & articulation. Most people will operate the radio at a lower power level & use 7 watts only when actually needed. I personally have had all of the gadgetry I want to see. This radio will appeal to those who desire functionality & reliability instead of a "bells & whisles" showpiece. I still have a pair of IC-2AT handhelds that have worked perfecttly for 41 years ! Cheers! Brian

WA4VMF and K3SZ like this.
  6. N2VIP

N2VIP Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it.

At $169.95 list, it will soon sell for under $150, maybe $140. That's high, but reasonable for quality.

In my area, Dallas/Fort Worth, most UHF activity is digital (DMR, D-Star, C4FM) so a dual-band HT is a wasted expense.

The FT-70 from Yaesu is in the same price range, and is a good, solid little HT. This should appeal to new (and seasoned) hams that want a well designed, well built HT that can put out a good, solid signal AND has a loud enough speaker to hear it above crowd noise at a public service event. Seven watts, meh, it's a marketing bullet point, not a meaningful distinction over other 5 watt HTs.

K0WJ likes this.
  7. K0SNG

K0SNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

well to me it looks like a good little hand held compared to some of the radios with the flimsy SMA connectors. If the proven BNCs are not your thing don't buy it instead of running it down.

8. NE7NE

NE7NE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using The V82 version now for over ten years now and have not suffered any ill effects yet. DUH!! Now what was I talking about now I forgot. :confused:o_Oo_O NE7NE

9. K8OI

K8OI QRZ Lifetime Member #60 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but what I really want to know is - "Does it go to 11?"

SPINAL-TAP.jpg

N5VAF and NT6U like this.
  10. W2MGF

W2MGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7 watts with battery power maybe 3 watts and if you really get 7 wats you can cook a egg on that

11. KB8OEJ

KB8OEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

htx 202 remember! it probably is the best ht ever.....built for man hands not no tiny purse! best audio & receive ever it also had a bnc.

12. K7JQA

K7JQA Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved the IC-V8 I bought brand new in 2005 and which is still as solid a performer today, 14 years later. As I remember the major complaint in the day was that the display screen is too small and that is true today as my eyes are now 14 years older! Ha! I bought it as part of a package deal with an Icom IC-V8000 75 watt 2 meter mobile also a solid performer, plenty of power and a front firing speaker... Very nice. I found the IC-V8 to be a down to earth basic 2 meter radio that was built to mil spec, takes a beating and keeps on working, easy to program manually. In the field, an excellent performer and I expect no less out of the IC-V86. I purchased a reservation and anxiously awaiting the arrival.

N4DJC likes this.
  13. WA3CVC

WA3CVC Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an everyday carry radio, simple but works, single band has less to go wrong, and you don't need to carry an instruction book if in an emergency, to run it!

N4DJC likes this.
  14. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interested to see how it compares to the Kenwood TH-K20A (about as simple as a modern radio can be). The V86 has a very high capacity battery, offers a DC power option, but the keys are not lighted (from what I can determine).

AG5DB likes this.
  15. WA7KSJ

WA7KSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember what every purchaser of Baefong did? They bought the SMA-BNC adapter. Enough said. WA7KSJ