ad: Sussex-1

New Icom IC-V86 7W VHF HT to arrive spring 2019!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom has announced that a new 7W VHF HT will arrive this spring, the IC-V86. The IC-V86 will replace the IC-V80.

v86.jpg

Icom IC-V86 Features:
    • 144-148MHz
    • 7W RF output power
    • Powerful Audio: 1500mW output and the case is acoustically optimized for maximum audio output.
    • IP54/MIL-STD-810G
    • 2250mAh Li-Ion battery pack
    • Traditional BNC connector
    MSRP is $169.00.

This radio has not been FCC approved, but for $1 you can reserve one now by clicking HERE.

KM4WRQ, W3MT and AB4KA like this.
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

old school BNC and a mono band, no thanks

KN4MPC, KN4LGM and 2E0EUG like this.
  3. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love the old school BNC connector!!! All my Larsen Helical Quarterwave rubber ducks are fitted with BNC.

de NK2U

KN4RA, K0PIR, KM4WRQ and 9 others like this.
  4. W1RDT

W1RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Useless, antiquated display

5. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last I researched. quality BNC connectors are rated at about 2-3 times the number of connects-disconnects as quality SMA connectors are.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    KM4WRQ, WA8FOZ, PA3KC and 6 others like this.
  6. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For some, "less" is more attractive: Just a channel number and a battery condition meter ... (g)

W0AMT, K7JQA, K0PIR and 3 others like this.
  7. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can dig the BNC connector. Looks like a solid, rugged, no frills HT that does what an HT is supposed to do - transmit and receive.

K7JQA, KN4RA, K3UJ and 7 others like this.
  8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BNC is nice, and being monoband means, at least in theory, it can have a narrow front end that is not very susceptible to desense from out-of-band signals. Could be a radio that does one thing and does it well.

K7JQA, KN4RA, K0WJ and 2 others like this.
  9. VE1LH

VE1LH Ham Member QRZ Page

An HT on 147 MHz running 7 watts FM and used in a fairly common fashion being just inches from one's head might appear to be exceeding the maximum RF exposure limit. No doubt the RF output could be reduced and a speaker microphone could be used to mitigate this.

K0DC, G3SEA and N2NOW like this.
  10. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like a clone of the Yaesu FT-4XR which also is a rugged little brick of a dual bander but with a reverse SMA connector and priced at
    around $ 100.

G3SEA/KH6 :cool:

11. KA5IQX

KA5IQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually prefer the BNC connector .. and have both the V-85 and V-80 2-meter handhelds. In fact .. I'm
    rather unhappy that .. ( as best I can tell ) .. all other brands have gone to the SMA connectors .. ( or the
    reverse SMA's ) .. with only Icom offering anything in a BNC. I'm very pleased that their new model will
    continue to offer that too. It's rugged and time-tested .. and can be connected or disconnected much more
    quickly than an SMA .. and seems to hold up better in the long run. Is it a "big deal" one way or the other?
    I suppose not. But for those of us who really like BNC over SMA .. we're gonna be "happy campers" with
    this V-86.

NL7W, AG6QR and NK2U like this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be a great little HT.

KI4AX

K0WJ likes this.
  13. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get it. You'd think the big three would work on something that isn't market saturated. I mean there are plenty of cheap options for analog radios with all the Chinese stuff. Still no one with a digital radio that does more than one digital mode. At least there is a commercially made receiver that does all the ham modes, the AOR AR-DV10.

14. W2YM

W2YM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll stay with my Baofeng. Dual band and $25.00 :0)-----

W1RDT likes this.
  15. VE2HEW

VE2HEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish Icom would make a 220/1.25m HT or mobile.

It probably wouldn't even take much work to convert this to 220. It could be a successor to the old IC-3SAT.