ad: CARC-1

Mysterious signals from West Africa on 28 MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jason KE0TNL- Shoot me an email.. I have a short "cw characters/tips" pdf for you, if you'd like. 73,Eric

KE0TNL likes this.
  2. K3WKK

K3WKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY ACTIVITY ON 10 METERS IN SO LONG, I THOUGHT IT WAS A NONE AMATEUR BAND ALREADY...

3. K1NIK

K1NIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's odd lol I've been using it all weekend and made many voice contacts on there, including the route 66 special event call W6H. I'm hearing activity on there right now on 28.400.

KA2FIR and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You must not actually get on the air on 10m much. Even out here in the Pacific Northwest that never sees much propagation during a down cycle I'm able to work lots of stations.

Get on 28.400 and call CQ... I do it all the time and it works great.

If all everyone did was just listen, and never call, you'll never have any idea if the band opened up

Dave
    W7UUU

K1NIK and KA2FIR like this.
  5. NJ3T

NJ3T Subscriber QRZ Page

YES , Don't be a SCOPE HEAD! Quit watching your rigs scope and call CQ once in a while. Everybody watches their scope waiting for a signal. You could extend your scope to see the beacon part of the 10m band or just go there (28.180(??) to 28.300 Listen for a beacon. If you hear one from PA, you know the band is open to PA. Hear one from TX, it's open to TX!. Of course you need to know cw or have a piece of software that will decode CW for you. Most beacons are running anything from 1/2 watt to 10 watts. If you hear one chances are you will be heard running 100 watts. A few weeks ago I searched the beacons to see what was there and found one in Canada. near Maine. I swung my Quagi around and pointed it at Maine. Walla! Had five qso's that nite, all from Maine. The next night I heard a Manitoba Canada beacon and had several QSO's to some Midwestern states and Manitoba. Beacons really help. If you hear one, send em a QSL or email to the op with your QTH, signal report, date, and time you heard their beacon. Beacon ops like to hear who's getting their signal too!

Back to the signal from Africa........... Funny to hear this, I just worked an op from Gabon. We were on 80 meters using FT8. His call started with TR8. I will be listening on 28.2506 for the "dots" to see what I can hear!

Don't forget to check out Ten-Ten International ! Lot's of 10 meter info there.
    de 10-10 35510
    Jim

KA2FIR and K1NIK like this.
  6. NJ3T

NJ3T Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry Dave, didn't see your previous post till just now. So plus one 1+1 on the beacons!
    73 de Jim

7. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Woodpecker? BRING IT! My trusty little TS-140S had a great "woodpecker" filter in it (NB2)... I remember it doing a very good job at knocking down that pesky bird!

For all the misery the Duga transmitter caused, it should be nuked... oh wait... it was.

Newer radars are nowhere near as powerful. If they are legitimate OTHR, they run much lower power because of newer receiver technology. And if the OTH "radar" is actually a jammer, as the Duga monstrosity was, they are not anywhere near as effective as they used to be owing to that same receiver technology.

The stated original purpose of the Soviet era OTHR was to detect our bombers... a function that is easily accomplished with other much less expensive and more reliable technologies.

8. W2STF

W2STF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its ALF, he is out there some where. He sends his 73's.

W2STF

9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:)
    Steve, NL7W
    10X 39102

10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll bet the signal stinks.

MM0IMC likes this.