Mysterious signals from West Africa on 28 MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have it on good authority that these two are on the J.O.B.

[​IMG]

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good one and I particularly remember the old "Skeleton slot antenna" 2 meter beam spaced 5/8 wavelengths, apart they worked pretty well

K3XR likes this.
  3. KA8EFR

KA8EFR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 10 Meters Mostly Local Round tables.

KD9FEK and KC5TJS like this.
  4. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't someone convince them that 27 MHz would be a better choice!

MM0IMC, KX4O, K4XJ and 5 others like this.
  5. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear dits and dahs emanating from my back yard @ 28207.3 kHz ... until I realize it's just my 10M beacon in the toolshed.

(And that's all I hear on 10 meters.)

SA6CKE likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W0RIO likes this.
  7. KC5TJS

KC5TJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I'm all that active talking, listening a LOT...but there are times hams could take a lesson from the lowly CB guys. Though not always but often if 27 Mhz is up then so is 28 Mhz. The CB guys will be talking away for hours on end and when you tune into the call frequency on 28.400 NO one! Giving even a general call, NOTHING! Maybe...if we'd check the band a little more often instead of assuming nothing is going on we might get to use it more often than not! Just because the notice on QRZ says that HF band propagation is poor doesn't always mean it is. With all that line of garbage this doesn't mean DX "communications open to other countries" is up but just local, "country wide" is better than nothing. By the way 20 m is up right now. I'm listening to XE1RK from Mexico City knocking down some contacts at the moment.

KX4O, WF7BSR, MM0TFU and 3 others like this.
  8. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Subscriber QRZ Page

Anything is possible these days,cool posts all,73's Jimi

9. W6UXB

W6UXB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just purchased a CB (SSB/AM) for that very purpose, if I can hear East Coast or Midwest truckers on 19 then 10M has to be good too, just waiting to get my old Gonset G-28 running on 29.000 Mhz!

PU5KNB and KC5TJS like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was curious where the term the band is "up" originated. Not surprisingly I just found the answer.

The band is "open" must be so...yesterday!

K4JNS likes this.