ad: Radclub22-1

Morse Code Dropped in VK - Media Release

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by vk4kss, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0ZZE

K0ZZE Ham Member QRZ Page

the cbers should join the 21st century and use real equipment and not spectrum polluters.mic gain wide open, d104 cranked all the way up,(how bout it dx land it be 234 western missouri and i just got up!!!&#33[​IMG] get real [​IMG]

2. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Jason, the problem is not totally with the equipment. It's the idiot that uses pliers to tune a radio that kills it. Also the mentality, (Or lack thereof), that believes, an echo mic actually increases power and clarity.

I have heard a crappy $50 RadioShaft CB made to sound pretty fair. That's because it was set up properly.

A lot of the CB radios today are cheaply mass produced under several different names. They work pretty well if tuned right. But if you allow a VooDoo tech get his pliers inside of it, you wind up with the crap heard everyday on Ch 19. Unfortunately, this includes 99% of the CB radios on the air.

I'm old enough to remember when CB was a nicely run band. There are still a few good CB'ers left, that use their radios properly. A lot of amateurs from every class of license still get on CB to rag chew locally. But they are a rapidly dying breed. Most CB'ers of today just don't get it, and never will. And that is it's downfall.

I think it's time to give 11 meters back to amateurs. At least it would be put back to good use again. But we know that, that will never happen.

3. K0ZZE

i agree, kick all the rum-dumb's out and we will put good use to it [​IMG]

4. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Are you sure of this? If what the pro coders are saying is true, when code is no longer tested it will be only a short time until the ARS catches up to and possibly even surpasses the awfullness of CB. Maybe CB will become a refuge for the less evil who want a place to communicate in relative civility.

5. K3DAV

Those trolls do come up with some funny stuff, don't they? I still wonder where they get it sometimes.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when code is no longer tested it will be only a short time until the ARS catches up to and possibly even surpasses the awfullness of CB.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Now THAT"S funny. LMAO.

I don't know whether to laugh because they will be proven wrong, or cry because they are so desperate to keep the country club, exclusive.

Either way, this thread has become sad, but great entertainment.

......ARS catches up to and possibly even surpasses the awfullness of CB.....

That's a riot. My sides are hurting from laughing so hard.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It saddens me that c.w. seems to slipping away from ham radio and the Cb radio mentality has slipped in. Im sure glad that there are still many proficient c.w. operators on HF but for how much longer? I dont use the ssb portions of the bands because every time I hear someone saying whats your handle I run back to the c.w. frequencies. Whats next sidebanders? Whats your 20 or 10-4 good buddy? Real hams can copy code!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

It saddens me that c.w. seems to slipping away from ham radio and the Cb radio mentality has slipped in. Im sure glad that there are still many proficient c.w. operators on HF but for how much longer? I dont use the ssb portions of the bands because every time I hear someone saying whats your handle I run back to the c.w. frequencies. Whats next sidebanders? Whats your 20 or 10-4 good buddy? Real hams can copy code! w2wil

8. K0ZZE

well i for one will never speak to a ham that asks what my twenty is [​IMG] why people cant adapt to ham i will never know [​IMG] ofcourse theirs hams that say QSL after everything they say, kinda like the cber's that say 10-4 after every thing they say.dont see much difference here!! only time will tell.

9. KB8NDS

KB8NDS Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3DAV

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w2wil @ Dec. 21 2003,)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It saddens me that c.w. seems to slipping away from ham radio and the Cb radio mentality has slipped in.  Im sure glad that there are still many proficient c.w. operators on HF but for how much longer?  I dont use the ssb portions of the bands because every time I hear someone saying whats your handle I run back to the c.w. frequencies.  Whats next sidebanders?  Whats your 20 or 10-4 good buddy?  Real hams can copy code![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It saddens me that so many hams are so desperate to keep the country club, exclusive, that they are ready to make things up, to make their point sound valid.

CW is not slipping away from ham radio.  Tune to any CW subband, and listen to the beehive of dits and dahs.  CW will be around as long as people still want to use it.

The term, "HANDLE" was first use by ham operators, and then adopted by other services including the military, and CB radio.  HANDLE is just another term meaning, "OPERATOR NAME".  I hear many old timer hams using that term daily.  It is not a CB term.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats your 20 or 10-4 good buddy?  Real hams can copy code![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you ever hear those terms, just nicely correct them. For Gods sake man. It's just lingo. An easy mistake of letting an old habit slip out, is not going cause the end of amateur radio. So they slipped up. Treating them poorly makes YOU the bad guy. Helping them makes both of you better hams.

Actually, the 10 code is not a CB code. It was first used by public service radio users, long before CB was invented.  I guess you think Police, Firemen, businesses, and emergency med teams all have that, "CB MENTALITY", too.  I'd pay money to see you walk up to a cop sometime, and tell him he has, CB MENTALITY.

Real hams don't whine about senseless things they know nothing about.  Only TROLLS do.  It's probably a good thing that you run back to the CW frequencies.  Maybe you should stay there if the phone frequencies are sooooooo bad.

11. K3DAV

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0QME @ Dec. 21 2003,15:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i for one will never speak to a ham that asks what my twenty is [​IMG] why people cant adapt to ham i will never know???[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why won't you speak to them, just because they made a step up to amateur radio, and let an old habit slip out? He might be a real nice guy to talk to. The guy came to ham radio to better himself, and you are going to treat him like dirt? Don't tell me that you never made a mistake on the air. All you have to do is tell him that we say QTH, or location. He will probably thank you, and continue a good conversation. Of course they can adapt when they are pushed in the right direction.

Hams help [​IMG], not hinder. [​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It saddens me that so many hams are so desperate to keep the country club, exclusive...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It isn't a country club and it isn't exclusive. It's a group of people who put forth a little effort in order to gain additional privileges. Period.

73 to all and Season's Greetings!

13. K0ZZE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ Dec. 22 2003,00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0QME @ Dec. 21 2003,15:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i for one will never speak to a ham that asks what my twenty is [​IMG] why people cant adapt to ham i will never know???[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why won't you speak to them, just because they made a step up to amateur radio, and let an old habit slip out?  He might be a real nice guy to talk to.  The guy came to ham radio to better himself, and you are going to treat him like dirt?  Don't tell me that you never made a mistake on the air.  All you have to do is tell him that we say QTH, or location.  He will probably thank you, and continue a good conversation.  Of course they can adapt when they are pushed in the right direction.

Hams help [​IMG], not hinder. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    david, i am speaking of the few,the proud, the guys on 75/80meters. i will not say what his call was, but he has been a ham for well 10 years now. you would have thought the man would have been elmered by now. and you are right we do need to help people just entering the hobby.but dare not to help a lid that has been a ham for over ten years [​IMG]

14. K3DAV

OK Jason. I can see your point. After 10 years, you would think he should know the proper protocols by now.

The only other possibility (And a slim Possibility at most) for his actions, is that he is one of the many hams that still use CB radio to talk to non-ham friends locally. If so, then some of the CB lingo is always fresh in his head. He hears it all the time.

I was on CB with another local ham, just rag chewing by ourselves. And when we ended our QSO, he signed out with his ham call sign. And out of the same force of habit, so did I. A few seconds later, it dawned on me what band we were on. We laughed about it the next day.

We really didn't do anything wrong or illegal. We just made a stupid mistake in proper protocols. What do you think another CB'er might have thought of us, signing out with ham calls on the CB channel 37? Probably the same thing you thought of the guy who asked what you "TWENTY" was, on a ham band. The CB'er probably thought to himself, "DAMNED HAM OPERATORS".

Maybe the guy you mentioned is just a lid, plain and simple. And if that is the case, learning CW did NOT keep that lid off of the HF bands. On the other hand, he may be a nice guy. And out of simple dumb force of habit, (Just like I did) he made a simple dumb mistake. We all do sometimes. I like to hope there is a positive side to every stupid thing we do in life. Then again, some bad habits never die.

Take care Jason. 73.

15. K3DAV

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4umd @ Dec. 22 2003,12:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It isn't a country club and it isn't exclusive. It's a group of people who put forth a little effort in order to gain additional privileges. Period.

73 to all and Season's Greetings![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The term "Country Club" is use to describe an organization or group of people. They use any unnecessary method or device that selected individuals are incapable of attaining, for the sole purpose of, keeping out those individuals that THEY consider to be, undesireables. That makes the Country Club, "Exclusive".

Remember! The key word in the above description was, "UNNECESSARY".

Knowing CW, or not knowing CW, does NOT prevent anyone from putting forth an effort to gain anything. Everyone who has an amateur license, has put forth an effort to better themselves.

Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.