ad: wmr-1

Latest (Sad) News from Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9EBE, Feb 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't. What's your point? You honestly completely lost me.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just supposition on my part, but as I understand it, Dishtronix is an electronics manufacturing company. It makes sense that they would spend money on production equipment, that does not mean anything as far as Ten Tec or Alpha are concerned. As of right now, I don't see any Ten Tec radios or Alpha amplifiers for sale on their websites store pages. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And FWIW, the company that built the radios you mention in your post is gone and has been for quite some time.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the issue is Mike has been dishonest (hey, rhymes with Dishtronix!) and never came clean about what's going on.

His latest "update" on the status of Ten Tec, snipped directly from the website, is from 2017, now almost 7 years ago, and reads:

"My vision as the owner is strictly long term. I have no plans to leave this business and will continue to operate Ten Tec as long as I am physically able to do so. I believe the Ten Tec transceivers to be some of the best transceivers available at any price and personally have been operating an Orion II until the first change of ownership. Everyone who uses a piece of equipment long enough, develops a personal wish list of things they would change or improve. I feel extremely fortunate to now be in the position where I can use my skills and expertise from more than forty years of ham radio and SWLing to implement changes which I hope will make fantastic products even better."

In a nutshell, this was the news seven years ago and as of today, with respect to Ten Tec, actually nothing visible to the public has occurred. No new equipment, not even any old equipment, no service, no spare parts, no technical support. After seven years.

It's for this reason that all the old, loyal customers can't be and won't be. If Mike resurrected Ten Tec like a Phoenix rising, at this point it wouldn't matter. Nobody could possibly trust they'd be around to support anything they might make or attempt to sell.

I still have an Orion-II, a Jupiter and an old C/21. The C/21 is very easy to keep going forever, it's so simple. The other two rigs aren't and when they bite the dust I'll use something else but would never buy anything from "the new Ten Tec."

Well, maybe if Elon Musk took it over.:p I understand he just built a restaurant on the Moon; I hear the food is pretty good, but there's no atmosphere....:rolleyes:

K0UO, KA4DPO and WD4IGX like this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What Dishop could have done was start small with a bare bones rig - perhaps QRP - say, oh something for POTA/SOTA types. There are a number of folks manufacturing such rigs and their rigs sell like hotcakes - and with real price tags, too.

Instead he concentrated on a somewhat updated Omni with a hefty price tag. A lofty goal with less than elegant execution.

He gambled and bet on a platform with a high price tag instead of letting increased sales quantity of a significantly lower priced offering bring in the dollars.

When was the last time anyone here work a station running one of Dishop's Prometheus amps? Hello?

The food is also reasonably priced, though the Grub Hub or Door Dash fees are cost prohibitive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The road to obscurity is paved with coulda, woulda, shoulda stones.:)

KA4DPO and K0UO like this.
  7. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Those pavers are used on a lot of roads!

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Omni VII+ seemed like a fiasco to me. I think RKR had pretty much sold all of the functional stuff and then went looking for someone to buy what was left of the Ten Tec and alpha stuff. It almost seems like they built a radio and a couple models of amplifiers until they ran out of parts.

And I agree with W2WIK,
    that they have been less than forthcoming on a lot of things. I can tell you that there are several folks who used to work for Emtron in Australia who are none too happy with Dishtronix.