ad: cq2k-1

K9EID Silent Key

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4NNF, Mar 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KT5MR

KT5MR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed the same year that Ham Nation debuted and that show was my roadmap for my first several years of this hobby. Like many, I emailed Bob several times and he was always so gracious, so generous, and so encouraging and he must have been answering tens of emails -- if not more -- per day.

I've spent last night and much of this evening watching YouTube clips of Bob not only on Ham Nation, but in giving talks to various clubs and hamfests. As I write this I am listening to a conversation he did with a net on 80 meters. It really is starting to sink in how much I really learned from him and how much his selfless giving back to the hobby enhanced my own enjoyment.

I was very lucky to be able to tell him thank you. I remember I was having trouble working DX starting out and in 2015 or so he did a segment on HamNation in which he went over in detail how to do parametric equalization. I implemented his advice and that very evening after the show I was able to break a small pile up and work Lebanon. I was beyond elated and let him know. He shared in my joy and even read my email on W5KUB's show later that week.

He will certainly be missed.

--Michael in Houston

W2BK likes this.
  2. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A Hams Ham for sure and and all of the work he did in the Live sound industry as well Bob was a Cool Guy, I think he helped Joe Walsh from the Eagles get his ticket.
    RIP and God Bless.

W2BK likes this.
  3. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Such sad news, my condolence to the family his spirit will live on for ever, rest in peace dr bob

From Steve M6EVR Bristol England

4. PB5X

PB5X QRZ Lifetime Member #150 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

May he R.I.P.
    Bob gave soul, sound and joy to our beloved hobby. He will be dearly missed by the HAM community.
    Our heart and thoughts go out to his family and friends.
    73 Bob

W2BK likes this.
  5. VK5VZ

VK5VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Vale Bob Heil.. you will be sadly missed worldwide.

6. N9ZX

N9ZX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, thank you for all your contributions to amateur radio. RIP and 73 to you my friend.

Mike
    N9ZX

W2BK likes this.
  7. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

God Speed Bob it was a pleasure to meet and talk to you.

Ian

8. 4X6YY

4X6YY Ham Member QRZ Page

OH NO!!! This is such sad news You will be missed Bob
    73 Bob

9. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad. He's above the ionosphere now

DD1HV and W2BK like this.
  10. G0WYD

G0WYD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our voices will carry your name for many many years to come,

RIP.

Bob Coleman

W2BK likes this.
  11. W2BK

W2BK Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't say enough nice things about Bob. He was a true gentleman and such an iconic figure in Amateur radio. Met him back in 1998 in Rochester, NY which back then was known as the ARRL Atlantic Division Convention hamfest. Our conversation lasted close to an hour. I was overwhelmed that he gave me so much time to chat. I make it a point to pass his wisdom along from that day to other hams that are willing to listen and always said hello when I went to the Dayton Hamvention. He was the master of audio. My ham shack is loaded with his products that I have accumulated since I purchased his dual cartridge headset in 1986. He will never be replaced and I'm proud I got to know him. Condolences to his lovely wife Sarah, friends and family. RIP es 73.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  12. W0HUY

W0HUY QRZ Lifetime Member #481 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very sad news for the Amateur Radio community.
    RIP Bob Heil.

Richard Wright

13. KB1GOO

KB1GOO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob was one of the best , a couple years ago we had a qso as I just installed his pr 40 microphone he helped with the settings on my yaesu great guy he will be missed is an understatement . 73 George

W2BK likes this.
  14. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A real fine gentleman. He used to sponsor a dinner at the NAB show in Vegas, I had the pleasure of meeting there. This a great loss to the amateur community, he will be long remembered.

W2BK likes this.
  15. YT3PL

YT3PL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

R.I.P. Bob thank you for serving HAM radio