ad: Mountaingoat-1

Its final - amateur service license fees are coming...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN3W, Dec 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC explained why the ARS is not an "emergency radio service", and I happen to agree with that. They also explained why the ARS is not a "non-commercial radio service", and while I see the basis of their argument, do not totally agree with that interpretation. But that is the decision of the FCC, and they are unlikely to change that. What is probably needed is a one sentence amendment to the law that inserts "The Amateur Radio service, with exception of vanity call sign applications" into the list of exemptions. According to the FCC, they are unable to make the exemption on their own, so it will take "an Act of Congress" to make that change.

I agree with your assessment that we will see the number of new applications drop (and renewals). Unless some change is made, we will see 2020, or early 2021 as the highest number of licenses ever existing in the ARS. That drop could be subtle, or dramatic. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

W1YW likes this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

You used an 'or' operator (logical operator) in your statement that...

"I don't see how knowing (or not knowing) CW has ANYTHING to do with operating a radio, or knowing which mode(s) can be used on which band(s)."

I was responding to the part after the 'or.' Not knowing CW increases the chances of someone not knowing which bands and band segments where CW is allowed/not allowed. Which is something that you should know as an Amateur Radio Operator.

WQ4G

3. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

While I don't support the fee, the fly by night licenses should dwindle. Also we, and soon the FCC, require FRNs prior to testing and the process of applicants going through the FCC first will hopefully draw more committed folks too.

N0YPD likes this.
  4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im sorry I despise all grandfather conditions

I busted my arse working and learning what was needed to upgrade

other folks can do the same, all it takes is time and some effort

I share HF frequencies with hams that dont even know any code , tell me how that is fair to all those that put in the effort

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it only required a bit of "memorization" to upgrade. Thought I read that here on the Zed forum. Maybe my memory isn't too good.

Maybe the FCC is aware that the extra class is too easy now so they will add a fee too make it more difficult! :D

6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you despise being "grandfathered", I hope that you are not using any of the new frequency priviledges that were granted AFTER you obtained your license.

Everybody else that is licensed also "busted their arse" and took the time and effort, so you're no different than they are.

You chose to get your license when the code test was mandatory, you should have waited until it was no longer a requirement, then you'd have no reason for your elitist attitude. New hams don't have the option to take a code test even if they wanted to do so.

Life isn't fair, get over it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    WQ4G and KE8NFK like this.
  7. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

I know which bands/modes I can operate on and never learned CW, all that's required is the ARRL exam manual and a third grade reading level, but that might be asking too much from SOME people...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    KR3DX likes this.
  8. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I share the road with people who haven't even learned how to drive a stickshift. Tell me, how is that fair to those of us who have put in the effort?

N3RYB, WN1MB, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  9. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone who cares. Perhaps you can find someone using code.

K1BQY and KR3DX like this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

$35...shipping on a boat anchor...

11. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

I share the road with people who apparently never learned how to DRIVE!!!!

WZ7U, KR3DX, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  12. KK1V

KK1V Ham Member QRZ Page

$35x3= $105, I think the FCC should start testing again.

Or let HAMS receive a stipend for their volunteer efforts.

Maybe they want to kill the hobby to auction off the spectrum.

WA8TJC likes this.
  13. WA8TJC

WA8TJC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know code.. The Advance class should have never been taken out. It was the hardest test to get. Never need extra get all the privileges. Its was like giving no code tech more hf privileges! That was fair right?

14. WA8TJC

WA8TJC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know must people are jealous they can't get this license. They gave out privileges to tech's. I won't paying 35.00 to renew. I have something that most hams can't get or have it up!

15. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NOT So. I do not care if you Do or
    Don't more space for CW Operators.
    Like I said What abt u..????
    Stupid comment ... CW Requirement
    WILL NEVER BE RE- INSTATED.
    No MOTIVATION.

K8PG Paul CW FOREVER