ad: elecraft

HR2.0: Episode 97 - How To Teach a 1-Day Technician Class, by KB6NU (Dayton Hamvention)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am puzzled by your response: I believe we are agreeing...

2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we are

3. WA4KCN

You mean attitude don't you?

4. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't tell what your attitude might or might not be--I can only speak to your comment. When I read threads that devolve like this I can only think of the newbies who come here to learn and then read this stuff from the folks they are hoping to learn from.......Im guessing it's pretty discouraging....

5. WA4KCN

Really you are unable to discern my attitude about the discussion on testing. The post beyond the comment is a revelation isn't it? The thread is discouraging. Should all not be allowed to comment?

6. W0DDY

W0DDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a newbie (who took a one-day class after about 6-8 weeks studying (didn't really need the worthless class at that point)).

Bunch of old bitchy farts. Very discouraging.

KI7MDI, AC7DD and KM6MHZ like this.
  7. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Commenting is fine, giving a reasoned opinion is even better, but throwing blanket insults and pre-judging both the motivations and their future contributions to the hobby for an entire group of people who's only "crime" is taking and passing the Tech test is unhelpful. Based on what I saw back in '73, the number of hams who "stick with it" after passing their Novice exams wasn't any better then than it is now with the Techs. Only the individual will determine their long-term commitment to the hobby and what they will learn from it. Its always been that way, nothing has changed.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. WA4KCN

I agree with your strawman except for the idea that nothing has changed. A lot has changed and if you have been licensed since 73 and are active in the hobby aside from posting on qrz you should have the experience and too have practiced what you say you believe concerning learning after the license then you should see the many changes in amateur radio. I agree it is simple to put forth the proposition all is fine with new licensees and the system they are brought into when discernment and judgment are absent. Argue as you may and put forth your own opinion but let us not put our heads in the sand and pretend a problem does not exist with either the current syllabus of study or regiment of examination.

9. KC5KCT

KC5KCT Ham Member QRZ Page

For all of those who say this is terrible.... If you would have a shop night or new ham night to then hands on teach these new licensed people what all they can do with their license you would gain a lot more interest. So many new people get the ticket and then no one will talk to them or show them the ropes. Many get MIC FRIGHT and never even get on the air. If all the people complaining would put forth the same effort trying to help a new ham as you do complaining about everything then we wouldn't have as many problems. The first thing most people should be taught is proper etiquette, but if you never spend the time to teach then what do you expect. The failure is not in the class. The failure is in the experienced hams who do not spend the effort to teach.

Just my 2 cents.

Thomas KC5KCT (and yes, I started out as a no-code ham when I was 14)

KM6MHZ and W6NYA like this.
  10. KM6MHZ

KM6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting point of view.

I always thought the Tech class license was a starting point, and as people learn more about amateur radio, they would advance their license class.
    I always imagined Tech license holders would be looking for Elmers to assist them in growing their knowledge, not trying to be Elmers.

W6NYA likes this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is the exact reason why Samuel invented Morse...

But seriously now, how much is it really "mic fright?" I propose it's less "mic fright" and more fear of terra infamiliar. Also, I suspect there's a parallel relationship with what you call "mic fright" and the fear of public speaking.

I suppose there are folks who take skydiving lessons, but once up in the plane and stand at the open door, hatch, or whatever it's called, they freeze. Some probably never jump (or get a firm push) and simply throw in the towel.

So the easy answers address your "mic fright" scenario are Morse code and Toastmasters, with towel throwing as an absolute last resort.

Isn't it odd that these folks who suffer from this so-called "mic fright" seem to have no trouble at all yapping hours on end into a cell phone? Maybe there's the answer! Disguise the microphone and the radio!

Oh wait. That's been done already. They're called handi-talkies...10-4?

73, Jeff WN1MB
    http://alienjeff.net

12. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't disagree. But this assumes that my comment means that all hams will be Elmers. It didn't. However, there is no reason (other than competence and knowledge which applies to every class) why a Tech can't be an Elmer to a new ham.

My original point has gotten lost. It was that I am now, and always have been, against making the question pools public. Otherwise, why give a test?

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The question pools for commercial licenses are publicly available, and those licenses are for people working with life and death communications, as opposed to a hobby.

K9MOG and W6NYA like this.
  14. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And radio licenses for private pilots are assigned just by sending in an application. I don't understand your point.

15. KK4ITN

KK4ITN Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember Novice class? After that you studied learned or tried to learn 13 wpm for your General? There were no Chinaman $50 handi-Talkies being pushed with D-Star and DMR. There were no "INSTANT EXTRAS" like we have now. I hear them all the time on the repeater. A dipole well that is a long rubber duck they sent when you bought your radio! When I listen I just change frequency and say to myself what did the FCC and the ARRL do to ham radio!
    Most will start with echo link graduate to D-Star and get a PHD in DMR, wear out the repeater and buy new battery packs that cost more than they paid for their Chinaman class radios. Can you really get a DXCC on D-Star? KK4ITN.