ad: chuckmartin

HR2.0: Episode 97 - How To Teach a 1-Day Technician Class, by KB6NU (Dayton Hamvention)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck and welcome!!!!!

Jim
    W6NYA

2. W6NYA

Don't let this thread discourage you!

Good luck and ask questions.
    I think most Hams will welcome you with open arms!!

Jim
    W6NYA

3. W9RDG

W9RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Jim.

K9MOG and W6NYA like this.
  4. W9RDG

How's that for killing a thread? LOL. No response, no help, no surprise!

5. KM6MEF

KM6MEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KM6MEF

KM6MEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm confused with your response.

7. W9RDG

Just being facetious.

8. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some are taking this debate to a personal level. It has nothing to with that. The debate is about making the question pool public and the tendency of SOME (for the comprehension-challenged out there, EMPHASIS on SOME) to study the test and not the material. My point is, if they are going to make the question pool public, why bother with giving a test? And again, it is what it is and that's all there is to it. How I or anybody else feels about it affects no one else. No one. So there is no need to make this personal.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The question pools are public on the commercial tests as well. Are you suggesting that those tests should be dropped as well?

10. W5JPT

It is not helpful to read anything into what I posted. I am uninformed about the commercial side so those folks can speak to that issue.

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is that the commercial tests are for things that are really important to life and safety, and if the FCC and those regulated by it are OK with that, why would we as hams think that our tests should be any different?

It's like some hams don't realize that what we have is a hobby, and rules and restrictions should be crafted accordingly. Certainly our tests should not be as important as those for people who maintain actual life and death communications systems.

12. W6NYA

Ive been racking my brain trying to remember the Novice test I took in 1973. I know the examiner came to our town to administer it at the local high school, so there wasn't a requirement that we go to them at that time. I remember it being multiple choice plus the 5 wpm code test. I don't remember it being especially hard. It seems our club had some idea of the material in the test because I remember taking practice tests with the other aspiring novices. I have no issue with the questions being published-- I don't think the test for technician was any "easier" than that written portion of the Novice test was 40 plus years ago. There were certainly study manuals that pretty much mirrored what was on the test even back then.

Jim
    W6NYA

13. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

You've already admitted that you can't help but take it personally (pg 10), so why can't anyone else take it personally?
    Personally, I think it's funny to hear you and your ilk piss, moan and cry in your beers because life has been so unfair to you. Get over it.

14. W5JPT

K9MOG likes this.
  15. K9MOG

K9MOG Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! Oh Yeah! And unfortunately perhaps maybe because of the internet even way more likely to occur on the ham bands than in the past. Big part of my ptt shy. :)