HR2.0 DXMini Pi-Star Hotspot for Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI7AAR

KI7AAR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point. Most industries develop standards. IEEE, ASTM even the intertainment industry.

2. K6JM

K6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting Multi-Mode device using G4KLX multi-mode programs. I agree with KM4OOD -- build it yourself and you'll have a lot of fun and spend less. While I'm a long-time D-Star user and also sometimes enjoy my DMR and Fusion HTs, I look forward to an Open Source DV vocoder. Maybe CODEC2 can become that for UHF/VHF? Almost all my QSOs use RF at some point, but I think the point of Ham Radio is to use technology to communicate. So I am ok with using the internet to transport the DV payload from A to B. But I do not plan to give up RF anytime soon.

3. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

"AM. FM. SSB. We should just get one standard!" < -- same equivalent for those of you whining about "standard mode" for digital voice.

Ham is about experimenting and having fun while doing it. If you don't like a mode, don't use it...but don't take someone else's method away. DMR. NXDN. P25. Fusion. Dstar. All legitimate.

FT8. PSK31. Packet. JT6M. RTTY. The list goes on...

Options!

W5PFG and W6NIK like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unlikely to happen soon. There are really only two major protocols, though--DMR and D-Star. D-Star seems to be gaining. And there is more than enough activity on it to justify buying a D-Star radio from Icom or Kenwood. Check out 1C or 30C at almost any time of the day or night and there is lots of activity. D-Star is not proprietary...it wasn't developed by Icom but by JARL.

K4AGO and KD5BVX like this.
  5. KI7AAR

Good to know.

6. KI7AAR

Not really. Most HF transceivers are “compatible” since they support AM, FM and SSB.

Anyway, if I bought into digital now I would undoubtedly buy the protocol that doesn’t make the cut. So I’ll wait for the industry to get it together and pick a standard before taking the plunge. If we don’t voice our opinions and concerns then nothing will ever change.

7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll likely be waiting a long time then. I highly, highly doubt this will happen. Too many reasons for it not to. But whatever :D

8. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree you'll probably be dead before there is a single digital voice standard. I've taken the "collect 'em all" approach, have HT's for DMR, D-Star and Fusion. With the right hotspot (OpenSpot and maybe some others) it's possible to do cross-mode between Fusion and DMR and I believe there are rooms that can interconnect with D-Star as well so it may be possible to bridge to those although I haven't tried it.
    It's all about what toys you want to play with, some are really into this and others couldn't care less.

KD5BVX likes this.
  9. K2VHW

K2VHW Ham Member QRZ Page

What I personally would appreciate is more work done to 'integrate' the multiple digital modes.....D-Star/DMR/C4FM to make it all ''interoperable". Absent the 'interoperability of digital, and even more so for voice emcomm, analog is still practical and universal. Of course there is always the need for digital data in emergency situations for 3rd party needs.

10. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! You would have more luck trying to drive a heard of 1,000 cats from south Texas to Kansas along the Chisholm Trail than you would with that! AARL is an impotent organization, especially when it comes to dealing with radio manufacturers who will use whatever digital protocol they want to.