ad: Flexradio-1

How to Renew your FCC Amateur Radio Licenses

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Mar 7, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1RFD

K1RFD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One important point: According to the FCC, the ULS Web site is not fully compatible with mobile browsers. You'll need to access the site from a desktop or laptop computer only.

WN1MB and (deleted member) like this.
  2. W0RH

W0RH Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL members may manually file an application for free (via mail, email, or FAX) to the ARRL VEC using the NCVEC Form 605.
    Non-members will be charged a processing fee to use this member service.
    This was an easy process and only took one call to the license team and they send a 605 to fill out and send back.

Note this is free for ARRL members and the cost for non members was quite a bit less than $35.
    http://www.arrl.org/call-sign-renewals-or-changes

WN1MB likes this.
  3. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that this has to be figured out. Considering how many hams there are and quite often their age it needs to be easier. Not to mention if you renew every ten years it seems that it's always changing so you never really do get to learn it.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are welcome. Nobody ever said the govt makes things easy Glad you got it done!

KB8SKK likes this.
  6. KY4PW

KY4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any of us first licensed after April of '22 are already familiar with the CORES/ULS two-step dance routine and its $35 cover charge.
    I don't believe for one second the process will stay the same for eight more years.

7. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

2 hops..??? How do you jump thru a hop..??? LOL....I always thought it was HOOPS....

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WS6IX

WS6IX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am applying for a "Vanity Callsign" I get through the application process fine, but then it takes me to CORES to pay the fee. My name, FRN, etc. shows up just fine but when it comes time for me to actually make the payment it won't take my money.

Any ideas?

9. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just used W5YI about two weeks ago to renew my license, I did have to contact them concerning some missing Hyperlinks but their technical support got me setup in just a few minutes, two days later I was renewed for another 10 years! The price is a bit hard to swallow but well worth the convenience IMVHO.

K0UO likes this.
  10. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. WS6IX

I did follow the instructions, I am an inveterate instruction follower which is what made this so frustrating.

A couple of calls to FCC, Christine was extremely patient and helpful, and it turns out that now FCC requires a "back up" email. They began to use this as my login versus my "ham" login. Once we solved that my money was taken almost as fast as the IRS takes it.

K9TDW likes this.
  12. K6DLC

K6DLC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful. The link that points to the payment area. Is wrong. My friend had to try on three different computers and was not pointing to the correct payment link. So he had called the FCC and they had sent him an email with the correct link. All is good now

13. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We see ham stations with $10K, $15K and more in equipment and antennas but bitch about $45. ok................

KO4RJD likes this.
  14. WS6IX

I dint mind paying the $35, but why do they have to make it so difficult to give them money?

15. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the group that was supposed to be helpful. ( no callsign will be mentioned. )
    Turned into a waste of time and money. Just go direct to the FCC website.
    Three weeks after my license expired I finally got the FCC to renew.
    A most confusing website at first, even the nice lady I spoke with had trouble navigating to the payment page.
    So hopefully by now it's been made easier to get there.
    Maybe I'll be a SK before I need to do this again.
    What an acid trip.........
    73 neighbor's